Gramatik on Lowtemp, touring, stage production and must-see TV

By Kyle Sutton

The Slovenian-born Denis Jasarevic, also known as Gramatik, makes his Copper Dragon debut Thursday with support from fellow Lowtemp recording artists BRANX and Gibbz. 

Gramatik is one of electronic music’s most versatile producers, mixing the likes of funk, soul, hip-hop, jazz and R&B. He creates a sound perfect for every dance floor and has showed off his musical talents ever since his first album “Street Bangerz Volume 1” was released in 2008. “The Age of Reason,” his most recent album, released in January.

The Daily Egyptian had the opportunity to interview Gramatik before his upcoming concert.

Let’s start off by talking about your new album. How has your music evolved up until now?

I started out making hip-hop beats using samples from other artists/records. On (“The Age of Reason”) I recorded my own samples with the help of my homies Exmag and other talented musicians like Eric Krasno (Soulive & Lettuce). The future is in analog samples.

How did you create Lowtemp? 

Lowtemp was created in order to have my own avenue to release my own music however I want. Also, I wanted to provide a platform for other producers to share their crafts with the world.

What do you see for the future of the label?

We’re going to keep releasing music and see how far we can take it.

What role do the live instrumentals play in your overall production? 

These days, they play in a lot. I still produce with samples when I hear things I like, but with live samples I record myself; I can produce songs exactly how I hear them in my head.

What presences do Eric from Exmag and Russ Liquid bring to the stage?

They both bring a different thing. Eric is a super cool surfer-type guy who carries a very cool vibe about him and Russ is all energy and all over the stage. We recently got him a wireless microphone for his horns so that he can walk anywhere on the stage.

Do you plan to continue adding new elements to your stage production? If so, what would you like to include?

Oh, definitely … once you start to feel satisfied with yourself, you are already dead in the water. We are always thinking of new ideas … my Lighting Designer Devon Brown is the man and is constantly bringing new ideas to the table for our stage production ….Watch out for that kid, he’s a Jedi with the lights!

Your spring tour is now about half way through. What have been the highlights thus far? 

It definitely was in (Washington) D.C. at the 9:30 Club. The show was great and sold out which was amazing. However, earlier in the day, we went on a Segway tour of the Capitol and now I’m addicted to Segways…. I gotta get one ASAP.

Your show at the Copper Dragon in Carbondale is shaping up to be a pretty intimate show. Do you like playing for smaller crowds or say a festival sized crowd?

I like them both … I love huge crowds because when you ask them to scream you feel them … However, I love smaller club shows because I can make out faces and can actually participate with the crowd on a personal level.

What do you like to do in your free time, when you are not touring or producing?

Catching up on my favorite TV shows (Boardwalk Empire,” “Breaking Bad,” “Game of Thrones,” “True Detective,” etc.) and producing more music.

Kyle Sutton can be reached at [email protected]