‘God, Jesus or my son’ Survivors’ Stories

Keith Huke said he felt water and debris hitting him while he slept. He pulled the quilt over his face, and when he lowered it back down, the entire backside of his house was gone.

“I ain’t got no back of the house, and that’s right where I’m sleeping,” he said.

When Huke surveyed the damage, he said, the first thing he found was a small container with an angel on it that did not belong to him. He said he’s convinced either his late son, God or Jesus placed it there.

Keith Huke, of Harrisburg, holds up a container with an angel on it that he found Wednesday immediately after the tornado went through his neighborhood. Huke said he did not know where it came from. “It either came from my (deceased) son, Jesus or God,” Huke said. steve matzker | Daily Egyptian

Later, while searching through the debris, Huke said all he cared to find was his medication, calico cat and arrowhead collection.

He had found some of his medicine but not all of it, Huke said, and while he managed to find some of the arrowheads in the camouflaged pile of brown debris, he still hadn’t found his favorite one.

The cat, which he thought was completely gone, darted from behind a wall and ran away.

When police urged Huke to leave his home, he responded, “I’m still looking for my stuff. Just give me more time.”

About Genna Ord