Freshman helps Dawgs turn the corner

By Thomas Donley

Taller players in basketball do not always play post positions.

Freshman guard Kylie Giebelhausen’s combination of skills and 6-foot-1-inch figure earned her a starting spot for the women’s basketball team.

Giebelhausen was a guard when she started playing basketball. She stuck with her preferred position, even after reaching her current height, which makes her as tall as a forward.

“I always liked shooting,” she said. “I didn’t like playing the post. I didn’t like guarding the post. When I hit my growth spurt, I just carried on with the ball handling skills I had.”

Giebelhausen is the tallest guard in the Missouri Valley Conference, and only 1 inch shorter than junior center Dyana Pierre, the tallest player on the team.

She has blocked 13 shots through five games, including 10 in two games against Memphis and Southeast Missouri last week. Three other MVC teams, Northern Iowa, Drake and Evansville, have not blocked as many shots this season as Giebelhausen alone.

Coach Cindy Stein said Giebelhausen’s length gives her valuable versatility.

“She has the ability to play guard, and she has the ability to play inside,” Stein said. “She’s not the most physical player, but she’s getting better at it.”

Giebelhausen is fifth on the team in scoring, and averages 7 points per game. She started the last three games, coinciding with SIU’s longest winning streak since the 2007-2008 season.

She scored a career-high 12 points in the Salukis’ win against Southeast Missouri State on Friday. She made three of four shots from behind the three-point line.

Sophomore point guard Rishonda Napier said Giebelhausen seemed calm under pressure in her second start.

“A strand of her DNA needs to be tested because I am sure there is ice water in her veins,” Napier said after the Salukis’ 78-62 victory. “She is not afraid of anything.”

Despite her partiality to shooting, Giebelhausen characterizes herself as a passive player.

“I’ve got to learn to be ready to shoot,” she said. “I don’t really care if I have points or not because we have scorers on the team. I’m always looking to pass.”

Giebelhausen was not familiar with any of her opponents, whcih helped her stay confident and avoid intimidation.

“Going in, not knowing anything with a clear mind is easier to play with,” she said. “Knowing that I have a veteran team to play with helps my confidence.”

At East Peoria High School, in East Peoria, Giebelhausen led the Raiders in scoring, rebounding, blocks, assists and steals in her junior and senior years.

Stein said Giebelhausen’s versatility was a major factor in recruiting the 2014 Illinois Associated Press Honorable Mention All-State Honoree.

Giebelhausen said she was ready to make the transition to college.

“I’m very independent, so I was ready to be on my own,” she said. “Basketball is always a busy schedule, but I was used to that. … I don’t like having a lot of free time on my hands.”

Giebelhausen will showcase her skills against Illinois (5-2) at 2:05 p.m. Saturday at the SIU Arena.

Thomas Donley can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @tdonleyDE.