Football playoffs hamper basketball practice

By Thomas Donley

Herrin High School’s football team has been a source of pride for the town, bringing residents together to cheer on the Tigers during their historic march through the Illinois High School Association playoffs.

However, not everyone in Herrin benefits from the success on the gridiron. The boys’ basketball team has faced obstacles in practice; many of its members have been busy with the football season.

As many as six basketball players, who could see varsity time for coach Irv Lukens’ squad, have been heading outside with football coach Jason Karnes after school in pursuit of the Tigers’ first state championship.

Although the Tigers lost their semifinal playoff game to Rochester High School on Saturday, the two-sport athletes did not have sufficient time to practice before the first basketball games of the season.

Herrin started its basketball season this week in the Pyramid Plus Tournament on Monday night, just two days after the football season ended. After the tournament, the Tigers have two weeks before their next game on Dec. 13 at Benton High School.

Lukens said practicing without a significant portion of the team is not easy. He has had no more than nine varsity players practicing during football season.

“It’s been a little struggle,” Lukens said. “But that’s just because we don’t have our whole team yet. That’s the difficult part of it.”

The prolonged football season is something Tiger basketball has grown accustomed to.

This is the eighth time since 2002 Herrin has won at least one playoff football game and put a hold on the return of some players to the basketball court.

Karnes said Herrin’s familiarity with the situation has made the transition between sports easier.

“That’s part of it, when you expect to do well in the playoffs, when it comes to winter sports,” Karnes said. “You’ve got to share athletes, and we do a great job here at Herrin.”

Lukens said the athletes who play both sports would probably need a week or two of practice before playing in games.

Senior Josh Haynes, a member of both the basketball and football teams, expects to be ready for basketball.

“Yesterday was the first day I’d shot a basketball in a couple months,” Haynes, a guard on the basketball team, said Wednesday. “I think after a week I’ll be back.”

Football is a game where injuries can occur every game. Sophomore D.J. Spell, a forward on the hardwood who also plays wide receiver and defensive back, said the possibility of getting hurt during football season and missing time during basketball season does not concern him.

“I don’t like to think about that,” Spell said. “I love both sports.”

Haynes said playing both offense and defense in football helps him stay in shape for basketball.

Spell said the difference between the ways the two sports are played presents a conditioning challenge.

“Every play you get a break in football, but in basketball you just run up and down the court,” Spell said.

Thomas can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter @tdonleyDE