Earning while learning

From aviation weather dispatch to stocked salad bar maintenance in Grinnell Hall, the university offers a wide variety of student jobs to suit almost

Jillian Luensman, a sophomore from Troy studying zoology, serves salad to Lonnie Williams, a sophomore from Rockford studying chemistry, Saturday at Grinnell Hall.Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

Jillian Luensman, a sophomore from Troy studying zoology, serves salad to Lonnie Williams, a sophomore from Rockford studying chemistry, Saturday at Grinnell Hall.
Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

every interest.

Campus employers post an average 20 job opportunities on the university’s financial aid website, which can help students find jobs he or she might enjoy.

Ray Marrion, a junior from Bolton, Conn., left, and Mike Bacha, a junior from Palatine, both studying aviation flight and management, answer calls Wednesday at the SI Airport weather dispatch. Bacha said they receive calls from many different people, including farmers and out-of-state pilots. “We are the ones that people come to check in for flights and get their plane packet with the keys and safety instructions,” Bacha said.Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

Ray Marrion, a junior from Bolton, Conn., left, and Mike Bacha, a junior from Palatine, both studying aviation flight and management, answer calls Wednesday at the SI Airport weather dispatch. Bacha said they receive calls from many different people, including farmers and out-of-state pilots. “We are the ones that people come to check in for flights and get their plane packet with the keys and safety instructions,” Bacha said.
Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

Mike Bacha, a junior from Palatine studying aviation flight and management, works as the weather dispatch for the Southern Illinois Airport in

Murphysboro.

Bacha said his job at the airport helps him make connections with other students and pilots in and out of state.

“There are a good amount of jobs offered at the airport aimed toward aviation students so that we can have

hands-on experience before we graduate,” he said.

Haley Conner, a senior from DuQuoin studying radio and television, writes news stories Wednesday in the Communications Building WSIU newsroom. Conner said she works in the newsroom for about 10 hours a week as a student news producer. “I started here last year volunteering for a radio and television class I was in and loved it, so I got a job here,” she said.Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

Haley Conner, a senior from DuQuoin studying radio and television, writes news stories Wednesday in the Communications Building WSIU newsroom. Conner said she works in the newsroom for about 10 hours a week as a student news producer. “I started here last year volunteering for a radio and television class I was in and loved it, so I got a job here,” she said.
Alexa Rogals | The Weekender

Jillian Luensman, a sophomore from Troy studying zoology, said it’s nice to have a student work position at Grinnell Hall because student housing helps and works around my class

schedule.

“I work about two days this semester, and it works well with my classes so that I have some nights to catch up on studying,” Luensman said.

Alex Richards, a graduate student in automotive technology from Joliet, is a lab assistant at

the new Transportation Education Center (TEC) and is also a graduate assistant while he helps teach and assemble demos for the automotive classes.

“I’d like to eventually teach so before I was a grad student, I was a student worker and they allowed me to fill in and help teach the classes,” Richards said.