Carbondale protesters show solidarity with Ferguson

Protestors line up at the corner of West Main Street and North Illinois Avenue Monday night in Carbondale after police officer Darren Wilson was not indicted in Ferguson, Mo. The protestors were chanting “No Justice, No Peace” and other terms. -Lewis Marien

By Marissa Novel

The chants “no justice, no peace” were not heard in just Ferguson, Mo. Monday night.

More than 30 community members gathered in nearly freezing weather by the Town Square Pavilion to protest the grand jury’s decision not to indict officer Darren Wilson after he shot Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, on Aug. 9.

Passing cars drove by honking in support of the group.

Craig Ross, an alumnus of SIU, said the protest came about organically, without any planning.

He said even though Carbondale is more than 100 miles away from Ferguson, it is important for all supporters to show solidarity because police brutality is a national problem.

“It shows that the United States government, those jurors, and the police believe that a cop who murders unarmed black people are more important than black lives in this country,” Ross said.

Tiana Smith, an alumna from Evanston, said the jury’s decision was unfair.

“What’s the purpose of calling witnesses if their remarks and comments aren’t going to be used or accounted for?” she said.

Smith said she discovered the demonstration after her friend, Shannon Latimore, posted about it on Instagram, a photo sharing social media outlet.

Latimore, a senior from Evanston studying education, said the decision made her angry, and victims of police killings have seen little to no justice.

“It affects black people all over the world,” she said.

Smith said she is weary of the police’s ability to protect citizens.

“What are they trained for, to pull out their guns?” Smith said.

Latimore agreed.

“They’re supposed to protect and serve, but they’re instead killing and we’re not getting any justice for it,” she said.

Noah Leverett, a sophomore from Carbondale studying mathematics education, said Wilson should be punished for his actions.

“I do believe there should be justice,” he said. “I think prison is the answer for Darren Wilson.”

Leverett said his view of America has changed since the decision.

“I grew up thinking that justice was something that happens in America,” Leverett said. “I grew up thinking justice is something that makes us a society that’s good.”

Ross said he wants people to continue to show their support.

“I just hope more people come out and we can keep steamrolling on this and actually bring about change in this country,” Ross said.

There will be an additional demonstration at 5 p.m. on Tuesday at the Town Square Pavilion. People will also be meeting at 4:30 p.m. in front of the Student Center to march to the pavilion.

Aaron Graff and Austin Miller contributed to this story.

Marissa Novel can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter @marissanovelDE or at 536-3311 ext. 268.