Campus goes smoke free

By Luke Nozicka

More than 17 percent of students at SIU smoke cigarettes, according to a university study. As of July 1 they will no longer be allowed to do so on campus.

Chancellor Rita Cheng said the university will be one of more than a thousand smoke free universities, including the University of Illinois and the University of Kentucky.

“Smoking and secondhand smoke is very bad for your health,” Cheng said. “A lot of college students – because of the stress of being in college and being out of their family home for the first time – start smoking.”

About 20 percent of the United States population smokes cigarettes, according to the National College Health Association. About 14 percent of students at universities nationwide smoke.

Cheng said while the university will not allow smoking on campus grounds, it is allowed in personal cars and designated areas in parking lots.

“That was our attempt to get everything away from where people are walking and congregating,” she said. “We’re allowing people not to have to walk very far or drive their car off campus in order to smoke if they indeed have a habit.”

Rae Goldsmith, chief marketing and communications officer, said it is undecided how the university will implement this new rule. She said the administration is examining the policy.

The university is allowing students to share input into the drafted policy and comments will be accepted until March 1.

Michelle McLernon, coordinator of Student Health Services, said this is to protect the general health of students and employees. She said smoking is physically bad for smokers and people near them.

“Some of the negative effects, it will age you faster, so your skin ages, your teeth turn color, and I think for college students – when they think about it in those terms – it really does concern them,” she said.

McLernon said a lot of students start smoking because of the social aspect. She said 6 percent of students at the university smoke on a daily basis.

“11.3 percent smoke not on a daily basis, meaning they are probably social smokers or out on the weekend. They’re drinking, they’re with their friends, and they kind of tie those two together and become social smokers,” she said.

McLernon said less people are smoking than expected. A survey conducted by the university said people on campus think about 87 percent of students have been smoking in the last 30 days, 70 percent more than the actual figure.

In December 2012, a 17-member advisory committee of faculty, staff and students was formed to examine how the university would make potential changes to the policy.

Thomas Ruble, a graduate student from Spokane, Wash. studying philosophy, said he does not know how the university will enforce this rule.

“There’s either going to be people who think that this is some infringement on freedom and it’s a public space and it’s open air,” he said. “Other people are saying, ‘Oh, it’s a health concern and people shouldn’t be smoking and so, good for the campus.’”