Annual picnic brings support for RSO

By Kayli Plotner

The Saluki Rainbow Network held their annual picnic Wednesday at the boat docks of Thompson Lake.

The picnic, which was part of Welcome Week, was put on in conjunction with the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning Resource Center at the boat docks of Thompson Lake. Its’ purpose is to welcome new members to the Saluki Rainbow Network, or SRN, in a fun, inviting atmosphere.

The event drew a crowd of over 150 students, nearly double the attendance of 2012. Erin Steele, a senior, FROM WHERE, majoring in animal biology and vice president of the SRN thought the event went well.

“I think the picnic went phenomenal,” she said. “This is an amazing turnout. It’s more than we wished for.”

Brendan Bodell, a freshman from Chicago studying cinema and photography, thought the picnic was festive and effective.

“I’ve already signed up,” he said. “There seems like there’s great people here and it’s a good support system.”

The SRN is a registered student organization that provides services, activities, support, and encouragement to LGBTQ community.  According to TJ Jannak, a sophomore from Tinley Park studying business, and president of the SRN, a plethora of functions for students to enjoy are in the works.

“We have a lot of things planned,” he said. “We have bowling nights, game nights, sometimes we go out on the town, movie nights… We also have a lot of serious discussions. It’s a lot of fun, but sometimes it gets serious.”

SRN Staff advisor Rosemary Simmons praised the group’s familial atmosphere.

“I think the Saluki Rainbow Network can really be your family,” she said. “It’s a great place in that the students are really caring about each other and really take an interest in each other. I really enjoy that it doesn’t stay at that kind of superficial level. People really get to know each other.”

Steele concurred that the group operated closer to a family than an RSO and was a great place to stay actively involved and informed about the LGBTQ community, gain access to resources, talk about personal problems or triumphs and enjoy the company of other people.

“Saluki Rainbow network is my secondary family here at SIU,” she said. “It’s a place where I can go feel completely comfortable not only because you can stay informed with LGBTQ resources and news, but it’s a place that you’re comfortable with on campus to talk about problems in general or when you’re having one of those spectacular days you just want to tell people about. It’s a great opportunity to just sit down with friends and have a great time.”

The Saluki Rainbow Network meets every Wednesday night in the Thebes room of the Student Center at 6 P.M. For more info visit the Saluki Rainbow Network Facebook Group or email TJ Jannak directly at [email protected].

Seth Richardson can be reached by emailing [email protected] or by calling 536-3311 ext.269