SIU to showcase local volunteer opportunities with upcoming fair

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

More than 20 community groups will gather at the SIU Student Center Art Gallery for a Volunteer Fair to talk about their respective missions and how volunteers can help with community efforts. 

This event is sponsored by the Center for Service Learning and Volunteerism at SIU and will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 29.

This fair provides SIU students, faculty and staff with opportunities to learn about local organizations and their volunteer needs. It is also an opportunity for students to earn community service hours for classes or scholarships. 

Several organizations are participating in the event, including: 

The African American Museum of Southern Illinois 

According to their website, The African American Museum is dedicated to preserving and portraying the history and achievements of African American citizens. 

Rainbow Cafe 

Rainbow Cafe is a safe space  and social support group for LGBT youth. According to their website, they meet every Friday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Lakeland Place. 

Women for Change Carbondale 

Women for Change advocates for the needs of the community, while encouraging elected officials to remember them. 

They work to educate community members about empowerment and how to live a safe, prosperous life, according to their website. 

Southern Illinois AIDS Coalition

The Southern Illinois AIDS Coalition helps low-income families who have been impacted by HIV/AIDS in 19 counties of Southern Illinois, according to their website. 

They are working to raise awareness about the impact of the disease. 

The Women’s Center 

The Women’s Center in Carbondale is an organization dedicated to ending domestic violence and sexual assault in Southern Illinois. 

According to their website, they assist survivors of these crimes as well as their non-threatening significant others and children. They also provide counseling and explore therapeutic strategies to help victims. 

Other groups participating in the event include: 

• Alzheimer’s Association 
  • Autism Society of Southern Illinois 
  • Book for Hope 
  • Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern Illinois 
  • Dayeumper Farm 
  • Green Earth 
  • Keep Carbondale Beautiful 
  • Land of Lincoln AmeriCorps 
  • National MS Society 
  • Saluki Food Pantry 
  • Salvation Army 
  • WSIU 
  • SIU Sustainability 
  • Special Olympics 
  • Specialized Equine Service 
  • The Big Event 

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached at [email protected]