Explore the Midwest with a one-person show

By Bethany Rentfro, Staff Reporter

The Midwest is usually associated with boredom and a lack of adventure, but a one-person show may change the minds of audiences who attend. 

The Marion Kleinau Theatre at SIU is presenting a one-person show called “Inheritance of a Flyover.” 

This show is written, directed and performed by Illinois native, Anna Wilcoxen. The assistant director of the production is Alex Davenport.

The show is an attempt to retell the stories of the flyover inheritance and explore the stories that are worth telling.  

This performance is centered around the idea that many people view the Midwest as nothing more than flyover states where there is a lack of adventure. 

“When you come from a blue-collar family in the Midwest, what you inherit from your family are stories,” Christos Patelis, the Publicity Director for the Marion Kleinau Theatre, said. “The story of gram’ stealing a car, or how mom came up with that recipe for bread pudding when we only had three ingredients.” 

According to a press release presented by the SIU Marion Kleinau Theatre, the one-person show asks the question of what those inherited stories mean to the people who live in the flyover states known as the Midwest.  

This one-person show invites the audience to view the Midwest from a different angle and invites them to share in the experience. 

“The show dates are Nov. 7-9 at 8 p.m. in the Kleinau Theatre,” Patelis said. 

Tickets are $5 for SIU students, and $7 for the general public. 

Staff reporter Bethany Rentfro can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @BethanyRentfro.