Saluki Soccer Splits With EIU After A Two-Overtime Battle

This evening, the SIU Soccer team took the field in Charleston, IL to face off against the Eastern Illinois University Panthers (3-7-2).

The Salukis and the Panthers finished in a tie after this matchup with a score of 0-0.

In its last appearance on the field, Southern fell in a 2-0 loss to SEMO, while EIU entered the matchup on a two-game winning streak.

The Salukis put up the first shot of the game within the first 30 seconds of play. The attacker was sophomore forward Maya Warrior. 

Warrior’s shot was intercepted by the Panther’s goalie, but EIU was not able to convert the save into a shot on their offensive end.

Freshman forward Madison Meiring was the next player to put up a shot for Southern, but the shot did not reach the back of the net as it was saved by the opposing goalkeeper.

EIU was not able to put up a shot at the SIU goal until 15 minutes into the first period and this was blocked by the Saluki defense.

Each team was able to put up one more shot on their offensive end, but neither side could get the ball past the opposing goalie. 

Time expired in the first period with the score at 0-0 as neither team was able to score a goal.

The Panthers were the first team to put up a shot in the second half, but Southern freshman goalie Dariana Mihalache was able to save the ball before it entered the net.

After the EIU shot, Meiring went back on the attack for the Salukis shooting the next three shots of the game. All three of Meirings shots were wide and missed the goal going out of bounds.

Both teams continued to struggle to get on the board and the score remained 0-0 sending the game into overtime.

In both the first and second half the Salukis out-shot the Panthers 12-7 at the goal, which is an improvement from their game against the Redhawks where they were out-shot 17-8.

The Panthers took the first shot of the 10 minute overtime period, but it went out to the right and missed the goal.

SIU freshman forward Madison Benion took the next shot and was on target, but her attempt was intercepted by the Eastern goalie.

Despite the attempts on both ends of the field to score, the game remained scoreless at 0-0 and sent the game into another round of overtime.

The second round of overtime proved to be the same as the periods preceding it as neither team could get on the board after making aggressive attacks at the goal.

Because neither team was able to score after the overtime periods, the game ended in a tie at 0-0.

You can catch Southern Soccer (4-8-2) on its home field again Friday, October 18, as they take on the SIUE Cougars for senior night. Game time is set for 7 p.m.

Sports reporter Tamar Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbytamar.