Salukis unable to hold off Colorado College in 2-0 loss

The Salukis (4-6-1), coached by head coach Grant Williams, were looking to secure their fifth win of the season today, following Thursday’s 6-0 loss to the Lipscomb Bisons, but weren’t able to find that win over the Tigers.

By Brooke Buerck, Sports Reporter

On Sunday, the Southern Illinois Salukis women’s soccer team wasn’t able to fend off late scoring opportunities from the Colorado College Tigers, and the Salukis dropped the match 2-0.

Colorado College (5-1) entered this afternoon’s match on their only loss of official play this season, having dropped a 2-0 loss to the University of Illinois Fighting Illini on Sept. 15.

The Salukis staved off the Tigers in the first period as no goals were scored, but their defensive efforts didn’t hold up against the Tigers for the entirety of the match.

The Salukis were forced to play defense for much of the first half, the Tigers putting up a total of 11 shots compared to Southerns’ three. 

SIU wasn’t able to get a shot off until nearly 30 minutes into play, their first one missing high coming off the foot of junior forward Kathryn Creedon.

Freshman midfielder and forward Paityn Schneider was able to create two scoring opportunities for the Salukis, one being a shot shortly after Creedon’s and one being a penalty kick with five minutes left in the half. Schneider, however, wasn’t able to put the ball past the Tiger freshman goalkeeper Abby Opperman.

For the Salukis, freshman goalkeeper Dariana Mihalache started out in goal, recording two saves off of shots from Colorado College’s senior midfielder Lucia Costanza and sophomore midfielder Kiley Suter. 

Headed into the second half, neither team had put up a goal yet.

The Salukis were able to get early shots off against Colorado College in the beginning of the second period, with freshman forward Madison Meiring missing one to the left of the goal and sophomore defender Maya Warrior putting one on goal, which was saved by Opperman. 

Altogether Southern Illinois was able to put up four shots in the second half, but none would find the back of the net.

Colorado College, on the other hand, was able to capitalize on two scoring opportunities within three minutes of one another to give them the win. 

A free kick by the Tigers’ sophomore forward Abby Hubbard snuck past the Salukis’ line of defense, putting the Tigers up 1-0 74 minutes into play, and Hubbard assisted junior midfielder Jenna Wilt in another goal at the 77-minute mark.

The Tigers continued to work offensively throughout the second period, putting up a total of nine shots with six being on goal. Wilt lead the Tigers in shots taken for the game, putting up a total of five.

Southern Illinois was able to put up four shots total in the second half, two being on goal and saved by Opperman. 

Southern Illinois, in their first season, moves forward with their next game being held at home. The Salukis will take on the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros next Sunday, Sept. 29, with game time slated for 2 P.M. at Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex.

Sports reporter Brooke Buerck can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @bbuerck25