Saluki Startup kicks off fall semester with weekend of events

By Brandi Courtois, News Editor

Saluki Startup events kick off the semester for students, both new and returning, before school starts.

The events run from Aug. 15 through Aug. 17. Students are encouraged to bring refillable water bottles to all of the events and use the Water Dawg. Some events do need an SIU ID verification.

Thursday, August 15

Saluki Basecamp will be at the Student Center’s Main entrance from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be music, games, giveaways and classroom tours.

Light up the Lake takes place at Campus Lake from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event will have free boat rentals, a DJ, free food, glow volleyball, slacklining and more.

Friday, August 16

Saluki Spirit Zone, starting at 1 p.m., will have tie-dye shirts, banner making and more. Students can attend this event on the Agriculture lawn.

For gamers the Esports Arena will have an open house and ribbon cutting ceremony in the Student Center from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Saluki Kickoff Events will take place at Shryock Auditorium starting at 6 p.m. The event includes new student convocation, new student photo, a pep rally and late night movie. There will be free food and shirts. 

Saturday, August 17

Saluki Service Day at Touch of Nature runs from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for anyone who wants to learn more and sign up.

Dawgs Nite Out runs from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the Student Center and usually features multiple events and activities for free to SIU students.

News Editor Brandi Courtois can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @Brandi_Courtois.