Gaming tournament to include Smash Ultimate, Melee, prize pool

By Jacob Lorenz, Staff Reporter

The SIUC eSports RSO will be hosting a Super Smash Revolution tournament on Saturday, April 20 – featured games include Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero III.

“If people are interested in [these games], this […] will be a cool event to join casually or competitively,” Derek Santiago, a sophomore studying Radio and Television and game head of the Super Smash Brothers group, said.

The Super Smash Revolution event is the combination of two divisions within the SIUC eSports RSO, the Rhythm club and the Super Smash Bros. club. The two clubs are under the same RSO umbrella and pay the same dues.

Admission to the event is $5. Participation in the Super Smash Bros tournaments, Ultimate and/or Melee will be an additional $5 each.

Price reductions will be offered to those who bring their own setup for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Melee, according to the Super Smash Revolution website.

“[The entry fees] will go into a prize pool, at the end, which will be distributed to first, second and third place winners,” Santiago said.

The event will be held in the Student Center Ballrooms and doors open at 10 a.m., Santiago said.

The current schedule for tournaments is: Super Smash Bros Ultimate Singles at 12:30 p.m., Dance Dance Revolution at 3 p.m., Super Smash Bros Melee at 4 p.m., and Guitar Hero III at 5 p.m., with doors closing at 9 p.m.

“If someone wants to seriously do all four events, they realistically can,” Santiago said. “Some events may overlap, but barely.”

There will be casual play set-ups alongside the tournaments throughout the day. Casual play will not have additional costs other than the initial $5 to get into the event, Santiago said.

“We’re hoping for the best; it’s our first regional event that we want to bring anyone in,” Santiago said. “We don’t really have a bar to break; we just want to set it high.”

The Super Smash Revolution event will be open to SIU students and the public.

Zach Vanscoit, graduate student studying computer science and game head of Rhythm club, said to register for the event you can go to the event’s website and register for each of the four individual tournaments. Registration will be at the door as well.

Super Smash Bros eSports club meets Thursday at 7 p.m. on the second floor of the Rec Center for weekly tournaments.

Rhythm club meets every Monday and Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Those interested can join the SIU eSports Discord channel to meet others and stay up to date.

Staff reporter Jacob Lorenz can be reached at [email protected].