Lockdown lifted after Carbondale student allegedly brings weapon on bus

By Staff Report, News Desk

UPDATE: Carbondale police arrested Jekiary T. Anderson, 19, of Carbondale this morning in reference to the Friday school bus incident, according to a news release.

Anderson has been arrested on charges of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and is currently incarcerated in the Jackson County Jail. He was arrested this morning around 7:45 a.m., according to the release, and the investigation is still ongoing.

Carbondale Community High School was placed on lockdown Friday morning after a disturbance on a school bus involving an allegedly armed student.

Carbondale Police Officers were on foot patrol at the high school. The officers were notified of the incident at approximately 7:30 a.m, according to a news release.

The disturbance took place on a school bus en route to the school and involved known acquaintances involved in a dispute.

“The male suspect fled from the bus and never arrived at the high school,” the release said. “The suspect is identified as a Carbondale Community High School student and the investigation is currently ongoing.”

The release said based on this information, the school implemented a lockdown for precautionary reasons, which was later lifted at approximately 9:10 a.m.

“There are not any known threats to the high school, the students, faculty or staff at this time,” the release said.

Carbondale police officers and detectives responded to the high school to begin the investigation.  

“The school administration is conducting an investigation in accordance with school policies and procedures,” the release said. “There will be additional security on the bus in question until the investigations are complete.”

Anyone with information on the incident is encouraged to contact the Carbondale Police Department at (618) 457-3200. In case of an emergency, please dial 911.

The Daily Egyptian’s News Desk can be reached at 1-618-536-3397, by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at @dailyegyptian.