Women’s basketball: Southern demolishes Indiana State Sycamores in final stand

By Tamar Mosby, Sports Reporter

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Southern was led to Thursday’s 80-61 victory against the Indiana State Sycamores on a 23 point, nine rebound performance by junior forward Nicole Martin.

The matchup was the 95th meeting between the two teams in a history that dates back to 1968. The Salukis have won eight of the last ten meetings and lead the Sycamores, 48-46, in the all-time series. The last time the teams met, Indiana defeated SIU in a 61-58 victory.

After winning tonight’s game, the Dawgs will take the sixth seed spot in the MVC Women’s Basketball tournament next weekend in Moline – avoiding playing during the opening rounds on Thursday.

The Sycamores opened up the scoring in the first period draining two back-to-back jumpers to put themselves up 4-0. Martin made two free throws to put Southern on the board.

Each team scored a pair of layups, but this left Indiana State on top with the score at 8-6. This small lead was stripped away moments later when a jumper from Martin tied the score up at 8-8.

After Martin’s jumper, Sycamore senior guard Tamera Lee drain a mid range jumper to earn her sixth point of the night and give her team the lead once again.

The Dawgs took off on a 3-0 run fueled by two back-to-back three pointers from freshman guard Caitlin Link. The third basket was scored on a jumper from junior forward Lauren Hartman.

Each team scored layups of their own, but the run kept SIU in a comfortable six point lead.

With 14 seconds on the clock, a foul by sophomore guard Makenzie Silvey sent the Sycamores to the line where they made both of their free throws.

As the half closed, a three point play by Martin seemed to be the final basket of the period, but a three pointer from Indiana at the buzzer left the first quarter score at 21-17.

The second quarter started with jumpers from each team which kept the Dawgs ahead by four points.

Two straight baskets by the Dawgs began to escalate their lead, but the Sycamore proved they were still in the game scoring a jumper of their own.

Lee and Silvey traded three pointers for their teams and scoring in the second period ceased for nearly two minutes.

A single free throw from SIU and a follow up of two free throws from Indiana State ended the scoring drought.

Two Indiana State baskets put them within one point of the Dawgs with the score sitting at 31-30.

Despite their lead disappearing, Southern refused to let up as they went on a 3-1 run on the Sycamores to bump the score up to 37-31.

Fouling at the end of the period allowed the Sycamores to shoot several free throws and these left the score at 40-36 with SIU up by four at the end of the half.

The Salukis opened the scoring in the second half – going on a 5-1 scoring run against Indiana. Two of the Southern baskets were scored by Martin, while the other three were scored by sophomore forward Abby Brockmeyer.

Each team traded three pointers, but the Dawgs emerged on top as Silvey drained a mid range jumper to extend the SIU lead to 56-43.

Immediately after her jumper, Silvey committed a personal foul and sent Lee to the free throw line where she went 2-2. After Lee’s free throws the game was sent into a media time out.

Two more Sycamore free throws were shot after the time out, but only one of them was made.

Junior guard Kristen Nelson drained a three pointer for Southern, but another foul sent Indiana to the line again where they went 1-2.

These throws were followed by an SIU free throw and basket set the score at 62-47. The third quarter was closed on an ISU three pointer that made the score 62-50.

A Sycamore layup opened the fourth quarter and made it a ten point game.

After another Indiana State layup and nearly two minutes into the period, the Salukis were able to get on the board through a free throw from Martin.

After the free throw the Dawgs scored two more unanswered baskets. These baskets came from Martin and Brockmeyer.

Lee was able to draw a foul after the timeout and make two free throws for ISU to bring her team just outside of ten points of SIU.

A layup from Brockmeyer and a free throw from Nelson pushed the score up to 70-58.

Brockmeyer notched another double double in tonight’s game as she scored 15 points and ten rebounds.

Each team traded a pair of free throws, but Southern was able to keep their momentum going when sophomore forward Rachel Pudlowski drained a three pointer to push to score to 77-60.

As time wound down, a layup from Brockmeyer and a free throw from Martin further padded the Saluki lead and helped them secure the win over the Sycamores at 80-61.

SIU will close its regular season play on Saturday at the University of Evansville where they will take on the Purple Aces with tip off is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Sports reporter Tamar Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbytamar.

To stay up to date with all your Southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.