Women’s basketball: Southern Illinois goes down fighting No. 23 Drake

Brian Munoz | @BrianMMunoz

Southern Illinois Salukis guard Brittney Patrick attempts to drive the ball past Drake Bulldogs guard Sammie Bachrodt and Drake Bulldogs guard Hannah Fuller on Friday, March 1, 2019, during a matchup between the Southern Illinois Salukis and the Drake Bulldogs at SIU Arena.

By Tamar Mosby, Sports Reporter

The SIU Women’s Basketball fell to the Drake University Bulldogs (23) in the teams’ second meeting of the season, 71-64.

“I think this game proved that we can compete with anyone,” Silvey said. “We put together a really good 40 minutes even though we fell short.”

Southern was led by sophomore guard Makenzie Silvey who had a 15 point performance.

The last time the two teams met the Salukis fell to the Bulldogs in a 94-66 loss. This evening was the 88th meeting of the two teams and DU’s win tonight gave them another win in the all-time series and they now lead it 60-28.

Entering tonight’s game, the Bulldogs were ranked 23rd in the nation and first in the Valley with a 13-1 record. Southern entered the night on a two game win streak and a number six ranking in the conference.

“I think Drake’s an outstanding team,” said Cindy Stein, Saluki head coach. “We would’ve like to come out with a victory tonight. I thought our kids played their butts off and I know we are getting better.”

Drake kicked off the scoring for the matchup with a three pointer from guard Maddy Dean. Silvey responded to this on the very next possession for SIU draining a mid-range jumper to put the score at 3-2.

The next Saluki basket came nearly two minutes later on a basket from junior forward Nicole Martin to give her team a one point lead over the Bulldogs.

This lead was short lived as Dean downed another three for DU to make the score 6-4.

The response came from Martin once again as jumped over her defense to make a shot from the block. The number 23 Bulldogs continued to respond to every Southern Illinois basket scored as they made a layup just seconds later to match Martin’s.

The next three minutes of the game were scoreless until Southern junior guard Kristen Nelson shot a floater to tie the game up at 8-8.

Dean drained yet another three pointer to break the tie and notch her ninth point of the first quarter. Another unanswered basket shortly after put the score at 13-8 with SIU falling behind.

Martin seemed to be keeping the Dawgs afloat as was the one to get her team on the board again after two scoreless minutes.

Martin lead the team in rebounds tonight with 11 and also scored eight points. On the next possession Drake scored let again to put the score at 15-10 and end the first period.

The Bulldogs started the second corner going on a 4-1 run on the Salukis over the course of six minutes. After the run from DU the score sat at 23-12.

Nelson broke the run with a pair of free throws, but the Bulldogs came down the score to score another layup immediately after the throws.

Sophomore Abby Brockmeyer was the next to score for Southern as made a tough layup in the lane bringing the score to 25-16.

Drake then went on to score three straight baskets against SIU. These baskets consisted of a three pointer from guard Sammie Bachrodt, a layup from forward Becca Hittner and a layup from center Brenni Rose.

“What makes Drake so tough is that they are good shooters and drivers,” Brockmeyer said. “They also play very strong defense and leave almost no holes to attack.”

The first half was ended on a buzzer beating three point jumper from Saluki junior forward Lauren Hartman leaving the score 32-19 at the end of the half.

Dean was the first player to score in period three with a layup in the middle of the lane. On the very next possession Silvey drained a three from the wing in response putting the score at 34-22.

“We got ourselves into a big hole at halftime and we knew we had to come out with intensity,” Silvey said.

A three point basket by Nelson put the Dawgs just outside of ten points of their opponent. Turnovers by Southern hurt their offense and the Bulldogs continued to capitalize on each one.

With the game at 39-25, Silvey hit a mid range jumper to add two points to her teams score, but a Drake three pointer by Bachrodt quickly hushed the cheers of SIU’s crowd.

On the next play Nelson was able to draw a foul on a three point jumper but her celebration also caused her to receive a technical foul from the referees.

“I think that when they called a technical on Nelly, it woke everyone up,” Stein said. “When they called that tech it made us step up and we had a little bit more juice in us.”

Drake missed both technical foul free throws while Nelson went on to two of her three free shots. On the last free throw, Brockmeyer grabbed an offensive rebound to get a putback layup and make the score 42-31. She finished the night with 12 points and eight rebounds.

Strong defense by SIU kept DU scoreless for several possessions and a three point play by Brockmeyer kicked the score to 42-34 and put the Dawgs just eight points behind the Bulldogs (22-5, MVC 14-1).

“We knew we needed to have a lot of defensive intensity because a lot of times our defense has gotten us back into games,” Silvey said.

With the Bulldogs having made two free throws, a short jumper by senior center Celina Van Hyfte kept the score within eight.

Brockmeyer soon cut the lead down to six scoring another tough layup in the paint.

The Salukis continued to shut down the Drake offense and create shots for themselves on the other end of the floor as they put the score within four points with a jumper from Hartman.

A circus shot by Bachrodt pushed the DU lead up two, but the shot became unimportant as the Bulldogs were called for a technical foul and Silvey made both of the free throws.

With 30 seconds left to play in the third, neither team as able to make a basket and the score entering the four quarter remained 46-42.

A basket by Hittner opened fourth period scoring but SIU responded yet again as Silvey got to the foul line to make one of two free throws.

Hartman appeared to be Southern’s secret weapon as she hit another three pointer, this time from the corner, to put the score at 48-46.

“Lauren continues to improve everyday,” Stein said. “What I loved about her today is that she was very confident in taking those shots because they were key situations. That confidence is a big deal because early in the year she wasn’t playing with this much confidence.”

Layups on each side from Hittner and Martin kept it a two point game.

“There were a few times we got within two points and we had some turnovers,” Stein said. “That kind of stuff is nerves I think. If we could’ve cleaned up the second half a bit, it might have been a different game.”

Hittner led Drake in scoring and rebounding notching 23 points and  seven rebounds.

Two straight baskets from Drake put the Bulldogs up by six, but Silvey hit a three to silence the visiting Des Moines crowd.

Layups on both ends had the game within four points, but a layup by Van Hyfte with just over three minutes to play put it within two once again at 60-58.

A pair of free throws and a three pointer by Dean put the Des Moines team up 66-59 with 47 seconds on the clock.

“I think we could have did a better job defending Maddy Dean,” Stein said. “She hit some big time shots, so we have to give them a lot of credit.”

Dean finished with 19 points missing only three of nine three pointers.

After a timeout was called by SIU, Silvey came out and got to the basket for a quick two points, but the Salukis were forced to foul on the next possession as there was only 30 seconds left to play.

The Bulldogs continued make their free throws with every Southern foul.

SIU was able to score a three point basket with 12 seconds remaining in the game, but this was no enough to overcome DU’s free throw padded lead and the Dawgs fell 71-64.

“They are a nationally ranked team and we gave them all they could handle for 40 minutes,” Silvey said. “I think that will be a big confidence booster going into the next three games.”

The Salukis (13-13. MVC 6-9) will be back in action at SIU Arena on Sunday as they take on UNI for their final home game of the season. Tip off is set for 2 pm.

“We can’t hang our heads about this game,” Stein said. “We have to start preparing for Northern Iowa.”

Sports reporter Tamar Mosby can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @mosbytamar.

To stay up to date with all your Southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.