Southern wins 13-9 at Belmont

By Adam Warfel, Sports Editor

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Southern scored early in their victory over Belmont Wednesday.

The Saluki offense poured on five runs in the first inning against the Bruins when senior infielder Nikola Vasic and senior outfielder Will Larue executed a double steal, which brought Vasic home.

Junior infielder Ian Walters drilled a two run home-run, junior infielder Philip Archer and sophomore infielder JT Weber both singled, and a single by sophomore infielder Grey Epps brought both of them home as SIU (3-3) ended their half of the first inning up 5-0.

In the second inning Archer added a two run home-run and Epps and Vasic both recorded doubles to push the lead out to 9-0.

While the offense was rolling early, junior pitcher Mason Hiser made his season debut as he went five innings, only giving up two runs on four hits, while striking out four batters.

In the sixth inning two errors committed by Belmont allowed for SIU to tack on more runs as senior outfielder Alex Lyon brought home a runner and Archer later followed him with a two run single, Archer later scored off of a sacrifice fly by senior catcher Colin Butkiewicz to extend the lead out to 13-2.

The Bruins (2-6) scored seven unanswered runs off of three different Salukis in sophomore pitcher Noah Farmer,  freshman pitcher Sam Grace and senior pitcher Matt DeSomer.

After DeSomer allowed two runs on two hits and a walk to open the ninth inning, sophomore Trey McDaniel came in to shut the door ending the game with a strikeout.

The win ends the six game road stretch by Southern as they play Western Illinois this weekend at Itchy Jones Stadium, with first pitch set for 1 p.m. on Friday.

Sports editor Adam Warfel can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @warfel_adam.