FBI continues search for bomb threat source

By Kayli Plotner

Editor’s note: The university received threats of mass targeted violence during the fall semester of 2012, and the Springfield FBI took matters into its own hands to investigate. Officials asked the Daily Egyptian to publish this statement regarding the threat and its sender in hopes to make headway on solving this case. The statement reads as follows:

The FBI continues to investigate communications sent during the fall semester of 2012, threatening acts of violence against the SIU Carbondale community. The language was intended to frighten. In each instance, law enforcement responded quickly and appropriately. Although no one has been harmed by this person so far, this is not a harmless prank. Evacuations caused by threats are disruptive and create safety hazards to others.

Despite the fact that no additional communications have been received since the fall of 2012, the FBI continues to request assistance from the community. This person sending these communications may be known to those around him as having one or multiple grievances related to what he perceives to have been a wrong or a series of wrongs done to him. He may have been continually angry during the fall semester and prone to making rash and unbelievable statements about his complaints. He is likely to be immature and lacking in focus. The person is probably familiar with the SIU campus and campus life, although is not necessarily a student or former student.

We ask the public to again review selected handwriting from one of these communications, as this unusual printing may be familiar. Anyone with information is asked to call 618-453-3771.