Semester in Photos: Fall 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Semester in Photos: Fall 2018

Daily Egyptian staff photographers, from left: (top row) Joey Sears, Carson VanBuskirk, Mary Barnhart, Chase Jordan. From left: (bottom row) Isabel Miller, Corrin Hunt, Nick Knappenburger, Allie Tiller.

By Photography Staff

At the conclusion of each semester, the Daily Egyptian Photography and Multimedia staff dedicate the last edition to showcase the visual content put out over the course of the previous sixteen weeks.

Semester in Photos serves as a chance to highlight the best photos from each photographer and sum up the events that took course on campus and in the Carbondale community.

Below are brief bios about each photographer, we hope you enjoy looking through our Fall 2018 Semester in Photos.

• The Marching Salukis perform for tailgaters before the game at Saluki Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

• CJ Ticer of Ava and Maddy Taylor of Murphysboro share a moment Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, at the Du Quoin State Fair. (Reagan Gavin | @RGavin_DE)

• Willow Hohgrefe-Fry, 8, of Willisville, rolls inside a bubble ball, Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, at the Du Quoin State Fair. (Mary Barnhart | @MaryBarnhartDE)

• SIH employees give coffee and hot chocolate to firefighters on the corner of Poplar and route 13, Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018. The Fire Department has not yet released a statement. The house was built in 1881. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

• Tow truck drivers move vehicles involved in a collision Monday, Nov. 5, 2018, at the intersection of S. Illinois Avenue and Mill Street in Carbondale. (Joey Sears | @Joey_Sears10)

• Aaliyah Begay, 15, of Chicago performs a jingle dress dance in a Native American medicine dress during the kick-off event for the Native American Heritage Month, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018. (Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)

• Raymond Begay, 14, of Chicago performs the crow hop dance with his older brother Jaime Begay, 29, for the Native American Heritage Month, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018. (Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)

• Rabi Scheiman spins a dreidel upside down with his kids in his home on Monday, Nov. 26, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• The Carbondale Fire Department, folds an American flag, Saturday, Nov. 11, 2018, after the Carbondale Veterans Day Ceremony, at the Veterans Memorial Plaza, in Carbondale. (Corrin Hunt | @CorrinIHunt)

• Calvin Scott, of Carbondale, plays taps, Saturday, Nov. 11, 2018, during the Carbondale Veterans Day Ceremony, at the Veterans Memorial Plaza, in Carbondale. (Corrin Hunt | @CorrinIHunt)

• Members of the Saluki Rainbow Network walk around campus Monday, Oct. 1, 2018. The RSO put on the LGBTQ+ Pride Walk to spread love and acceptance across the campus community. (Dillon Gilliland | Daily Egyptian)

• Elliot Palm (right), a junior with Air Force ROTC, practices rifle training Sept. 21, 2018. When asked about the mentality a person has to have to train, Elliot states, “People in today’s society seem to have the misconception that you either fail or achieve at something, when in reality that’s not it at all.” He proceeded to talk about his own struggles when beginning with training, “I’ve got a few scars from not catching the rifle when I was starting out. So in reality, you fail, you fail, and you fail, and by overcoming those failures you succeed.” (Joey Sears | @Joey_Sears10)

• Junior, Alyssa Weimer, 20, of Algonquin, studying art education, spins a glowing hoop around her leg, Sept. 27, 2018. (Chase Jordan | @chasejordande)

• SIU students grab candy from a pile to put in pinatas they made at the Student Center Craft Shop during day two of the pinata event for Hispanic Latino Heritage Month, Friday, Oct. 5, 2018. “You fill [the pinata] with good stuff because that’s things that you want in life,” Celeste Orozco, a junior studying forestry, said. “It is normally hung because it is supposed to be up in the sky, like the heavens, so you’re looking up and it’s about faith," Orozco said. "So, just keep going and eventually when you break through all the barriers, good things will come of it and that is the candy part of it.” (Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)

• Chris Cole, a senior studying advertising, holds a candle, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018, during a vigil honoring Chancellor Carlo Montemagno at the Student Services Building. (Reagan Gavin | @RGavin_DE)

• A child laying next to a three-panel LGBTQ+ rainbow sign on the steps of the Carbondale City Hall during the City Assembly to Shut Down Trump event, Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018. (Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)(Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)

• Protesters chant and wave their signs on the road outside the airport, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, during President Trump’s Rally at Southern Illinois Airport in Murphysboro. (Nick Knappenburger | @nickknappenburger_de)

• President Donald J. Trump addresses the crowd during the Murphysboro campaign rally, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, at the Southern Illinois Airport. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

• State police in tactical gear line up in preparation for the approaching protesters, during the MAGA Rally, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, at the Southern Illinois Airport in Murphysboro. (Mary Barnhart | @MaryBarnhartDE)

• Beau Henson, Democratic Socialists of America member, 38, of Carbondale, calls out SIU administration for lack of action against racial injustices and anti-semitism on SIU campus, Friday, Sept. 28, 2018, outside of Faner Hall. (Mary Barnhart | @MaryBarnhartDE)

• Chris Hargas holds Billy “Farmer” Hills against the ropes during their match, Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018, at the Carterville Free Fair at the Carterville Community Center. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

• Sean Thornton, 19, of Oak Lawn, hangs from the rim with a smile on his face, Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018, on a basketball court near West Campus. “In college it’s important to find something that relieves you of stress in a healthy way, basketball is my escape.” Thornton said. (Chase Jordan | @chasejordande)

• Toni Eaton, 45, an in home care provider from Champaign shows off her attire in front of Southern Illinois Airport. Oct. 27, 2018. “I love being here. I’m energized. You can have people follow me at Lady Liberty for Trump on Facebook.” Eaton said. (Chase Jordan|@chasejordande)

• Michelle Bernard, of Texas, waits at her food stand for customers, Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, at the Du Quoin State Fair. (Nick Knappenburger | @DeKnappenburger)

• Jay Popoff, lead singer of Lit, singing to the crowd at a concert for the Du Quoin State Fair, Friday, Aug. 31, 2018.(Allie Tiller | @allietiller_de)

• Alaysia Brandy, 20, of Chicago, studying Biological Science Pre-Med, kneels during the National Anthem at the SIU versus SEMO football game at the SIU Arena, on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• Senior outside hitter, Malvis Ortiz, spikes the ball, Friday, Nov. 2, 2018, during the Saluki’s 3-1 win againt the Indiana Sycamores, at Davies Gym. (Isabel Miller | @IsabelMillerDE)

• Senior Raphael Leonard, of Starkville, Miss., flexes after his reception for a touchdown, at the SIU versus SEMO football game at the SIU Arena, on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• Zymrih Hughlett, seven months, of Carbondale, sits inside the Saluki’s shoulder pads on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018, at the Saluki Football Fan Fest, at Saluki Stadium. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• Junior, Frankie Thomas, of Chesterfield, Mo., practices his driving at the SIU Men’s Golf practice at Hickory Ridge Golf Course on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• Jillian Reinhardt, 8, of Herrin, runs through the obstacle course, on Thursday, Aug. 23, 2018, at the Saluki Football Fan Fest, at Saluki Stadium. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• SIU graduate student Marcus Bartley, attempts to block a shot from Jordan Goodwin, at the SIU vs. SLU basketball game on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. (Carson VanBuskirk | @carsonvanbDE)

• Nyah Addison, a Sophomore from Chicago studying Finance, fills out her voting ballot, Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, at the polling center in Lentz Hall. (Nick Knappenburger | @nickknappenburger_de)

Meet the photographers

Joseph Sears, 19, is a sophomore from Chatham studying cinema and photography. He has worked for the Daily Egyptian since August 2017. After graduation Sears plans to be a producer or director.

Carson VanBuskirk, 20, is a junior from Girard studying radio, TV, and digital media and cinematography and photography. He has worked at the Daily Egyptian since August 2018. VanBuskirk plans to pursue a career as a videographer and photographer after graduation.

Mary Barnhart, 23, is a senior from Marion studying journalism with a specialization in photos. She has worked at the Daily Egyptian since August 2017. Barnhart served as the photo and multimedia editor for the summer and fall of 2018. After graduation, she will be focusing on freelance work following and documenting bands on tour.

Chase Jordan, 20, is a sophomore from Granite City studying journalism with a specialization in photos. He has worked at the Daily Egyptian since September 2018. After graduation, Jordan plans to find a job at a music-based magazine or website as a photographer.

Isabel Miller, 19, is a sophomore from Carterville studying journalism with a specialization in photos. She has worked at the Daily Egyptian since May 2018. After graduation Miller hopes to work at the Chicago Tribune.

Corrin Hunt, 20, is a junior from Ramsey studying art. She has worked at the Daily Egyptian since January 2018. After graduation, Hunt hopes to work as a full-time photographer and graphic designer.

Nicholas Knappenburger, 20, is a junior from Eureka studying radio, TV, and digital media. He has worked at the Daily Egyptian since June 2018. Knappenburger wants to work in video production and editing.

Allie Tiller, 21, is a junior from Marquette Heights studying cinema and photography. She has worked at the Daily Egyptian since August 2018. Tiller plans to pursue a career in cinematography, editing and photography after graduation.

The Daily Egyptian Photography Staff can be reached at [email protected], on Twitter at @DailyEgyptian and Instagram at @DailyEgyptian.