Saluki volleyball falls to SEMO

Mary Newman

Senior middle hitter Kolby Meeks, 1, spikes ball, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2017, during the Salukis’ 3-2 loss against the Bradley University Braves, at Davies Gym. (Mary Newman | @MaryNewmanDE)

By Ryan Demer, Sports Reporter

SIU volleyball was swept by rival SEMO on Tuesday night, falling 25-13, 25-19 and 25-19.

The Redhawks began the first set going on a massive 10-1 scoring run.

Southern was unable to fight their way back in the set, as SEMO continued leading by double-digits until the end of the set.

The second set saw the Redhawks take another early lead, going up 10-3 thanks to five early service aces.

Southern rallied, as a kill by senior middle blocker Patience Brown brought the score to 15-13 in SEMO’s favor.

However, the Redhawks scored three unanswered points later to make the score in the set 21-15, which the Salukis were unable to recover from.

The third set saw SEMO go up 9-4 early after another 3-0 scoring run.

SIU rallied, but the Redhawks scored another three consecutive points later in the set to make the score 19-11.

Southern could not bounce back in the set and SEMO completed the sweep.

Sophomore opposite hitter Maggie Nedoma led the way for SIU with 10 kills and a service ace.

Junior setter Alayna Martin recorded 23 assists while adding two kills and five digs.

Saluki volleyball continues play this Friday where they will travel to Flagstaff, Arizona for the Northern Arizona tournament. First serve against Northern Arizona is scheduled for 9:30 a.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RyanDemer_DE

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.