MCM prepares for changes with new president

Quinn Murphy, president of Movie Camera Movement, recruits Jonathan Wiegmann, a junior studying Cinema and Photography, for MCM, Tuesday, Aug. 28, at the Mass Communications RSO Fair. (Nick Knappenburger | @DEKnappenburger)

By Austin Phelps, Staff Reporter

Movie Camera Movement is preparing for changes coming to this 2018-19 academic year and they’re eager and hungry to get started, according to Quinn Murphy, President of MCM.

“We’re trying to bring in more of a post-production emphasis,” Murphy said. “It’s super easy to plan everything but once you’re on set it’s a completely different beast and monster itself.”

Allison Brown, post-production supervisor, said the group will be getting an editing suite this year.

“It’s going to be the meeting place for post-production,” Brown said. “Which is wonderful because before editors were on their own.”

Brown said in previous years if editors wanted to collaborate, they had to contact one another by other means.

The editing suite comes with a faster computer which will allow the group to edit easier while making better films, Murphy said.

The group will now also be editing trailers and teasers for their films that will premiere at their annual Red Carpet event, Brown said.

“That’s the main goal in getting these teasers and trailers out,” Brown said. “Making sure that we’re involved in the community is making sure that students know we’re here.”

MCM is also hoping to branch out into other genres this year, Mary Scott, Vice President, said.

“Experimental rather than the regular narrative,” Scott said. “We’re always welcome to having those.”

MCM is looking to branch out further with comedy skits, suspenseful films, and even commercials, Murphy said. The group is always looking for members to bring in new ideas.

“This is a place where you can come in and say ‘I’m passionate about this idea,’” Murphy said.  “We’re like ‘Cool, let’s make it!’”

Even if you don’t have a clue about what film production or editing is, this is a place for everyone, Scott said.

“Everyone is so cool and literally no one cares if you mess up,” Scott said. “We’re all here to be creative.”

It’s a place where failure is common and welcome, Murphy said.

“We’re here to help them learn, mess up, try again and move forward in life,” Brown said. “If freshmen can find this program, it’s so good for them.”

When deciding on a film to produce, MCM’s executive board receives all the script submissions and greenlights four of them, then votes for two of them, Murphy said.

“Mary and I are in charge of crewing the whole thing with members signing up for what jobs they want,” Murphy said.

MCM produces two films per submission round and two rounds per semester, making four films a semester, Scott said.

An award in front of the Movie Camera Movement slate, Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018, at the Mass Communications RSO Fair. (Nick Knappenburger | @DeKnappenburger)

Near the end of the academic year on April 28, MCM holds the annual Red Carpet event, Murphy said. It’s comparable to MCM’s version of the Oscars.

“It’s always fun to have a little ceremony where you get to go up and accept your trophy,” Murphy said. “It’s super fun and rewarding to see members getting that kind of recognition.”

MCM meets weekly on Mondays at 8:00 p.m. in Soundstage Room 1116.

Staff reporter Austin Phelps can be reached at aphelps@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @austinphelps96.