West Campus move-in works like ‘a well-oiled machine’

Karen Schauwecker, the sustainability coordinator for the Sustainability office, gathers recyclable cardboard, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018, during move-in day at Thompson Point. (Mary Barnhart | @MaryBarnhartDE)

By Tyler Malone and Jeremy Brown, Staff reporters

On Thursday new incoming freshman and transfer students moved into the West campus dorms with the help of volunteers. It was 80 degrees out, with 81 percent humidity.

“This is the nicest move-in we’ve had in a long time,” Valerie Rasp, assistant dean of the college of science, said. “I joke with parents as they come up, I say ‘The campus that sweats together stays together.’”

Rasp and other College of Science faculty, staff and students help move in College of Science students every year, she said. The college tends to request Saluki Science Ambassadors to help.

“I’ve had a few faculty show up that I didn’t expect were coming, that was definitely helpful,” Rasp said. “It shows our faculty really support our students [and] want to help them.”

Rasp said move-in is one way many faculty get to know some of the new students they’ll be teaching, as well as an ice cream social later the same day.

Rachel Richey, director for recruitment and retention for the college of business, said the college of business is also hosting their own ice cream social so business students can get to know each other.

Richey said Brown Hall is usually full every year, so the stream of incoming students hasn’t been a big change from previous years.

“[The] university has it down,” Richey said. “They got people scheduled, volunteers, lots of water, so it’s a well-oiled machine.”

Rasp said University Housing has done a great job planning out this year’s move-in, even with the influx of students coming to West campus after East campus closed starting this semester.

(See more: East campus residence halls to close in fall)

“Some of the faculty and some of our staff again have more chances to interact with students and their parents while they’re here,” Rasp said.

By looking at all the maroon shirts worn by volunteers you can tell the university supports its students, Rasp said.

“Parents are always grateful and shocked,” Rasp said. “When they get out of the car and suddenly five people jump on the car and say ‘Hey, let’s grab the stuff and carry it up.’”

Two volunteers from Delta Chi fraternity, Christopher Watkins, a junior studying supply chain management and Jacob Rice, a senior studying healthcare management, said they were helping people move in to give back to the students.

“This is a great way to show how students care about SIU campus,” Watkins said.

Rice said because both he and Watkins work on campus, they know a lot about the resources available to the new students, such as Morris Library.

“It’s been great for a first day,” Watkins said. “Usually the first day is a little hectic for the students but [Housing is] pretty organized.”

There are a lot of students to be moving in so early in the week, Rice said. He didn’t move in until Saturday back when he was a freshman.

“I think it’s going to be good having all the new students centralized instead of split up like half and half,” Rice said.

East campus was kind of disconnected from the rest of campus, Rice said.

“I hope with all the declines that SIU’s been having that this is a good way to get students back in,” Rice said, “and show that SIU can power through everything.”

Staff reporter Tyler Malone can be reached at tmalone@dailyegyptian.com or on Twitter at @TylerJohnMalone.

Campus editor Jeremy Brown can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @JeremyBrown_DE.