Faculty Senate passes ‘vote of no confidence,’ calls for removal of SIU President Randy Dunn

By Brian Munoz, Staff Reporter

The SIU Faculty Senate has taken a “vote of no confidence” and has called for the removal of  SIU President Randy Dunn during a meeting Tuesday afternoon.

The 25-1 vote was met with one abstention.

See the full resolution below:

WHEREAS the recent revelations of SIU System correspondence reveal a determined effort by System President Randy Dunn to undermine the SIU System; WHEREAS President Dunn’s actions have been contrary to the language of his job description which:

• provides overall leadership for the university; 
  • directs the activities of the university chancellors in a manner which promotes the general welfare of the System and the university and insures institutional autonomy;
  • proposes to the Board goals, policies, and actions which serve the best interests of the university and Southern Illinois University at Carbondale and Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville…

WHEREAS President Dunn has also acted contrary to the Board of Trustees statement Mutual and Respective Roles of the Board, President, and Chancellors which requires the System President to serve “as a ‘shield’ against outside interference in University and campus matters”;

WHEREAS President Dunn worked with SIUE leadership and constituents, the press, lobbyists, and legislators to write, guide, and promote legislation to dissolve the SIU System;

WHEREAS President Dunn coordinated efforts to undermine the SIU Carbondale Campus;

WHEREAS President Dunn’s activities have served in a variety of ways to damage the reputation of the SIU System at a critical time for all SIU campuses. WHEREAS President Dunn has lost the trust of the Carbondale faculty.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the SIUC Faculty Senate provides a vote of NO CONFIDENCE regarding President Randy Dunn and his ability to lead the SIU System.

FURTHERMORE BE IT RESOLVED that the SIUC Faculty Senate urges the Board of Trustees to meet as soon as possible to remove Randy Dunn.

The motion comes after a failed attempt to oust Dunn after the release of nearly 1,900 pages of public records that show he coordinated with SIU Edwardsville officials and legislators in an attempt to dissolve the SIU system.

The SIU Faculty Senate is made up of 36 Senators, 6 represent the non-tenure track faculty.

The tenure/tenure track seats are determined by the number of the University’s full time faculty within each voting unit.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Staff reporter Brian Munoz can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @BrianMMunoz.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.