Saluki softball fails to complete sweep of Bradley

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

The SIU softball team fell short in its comeback attempt over the Bradley Braves (17-25, 6-11 MVC) on Sunday afternoon.

After they took two games in the doubleheader on Saturday, the Salukis allowed 14 runs to the Braves and fell 14-9 on Sunday.

With senior Savanna Dover on the mound for SIU, the Braves rallied first in the bottom of the second inning.

Bradley let off its half of the inning with a home run by freshman third baseman Stacia Seeton, her eighth of the season.

Then, following a double, an error and a walk, senior second baseman Elizabeth Leonard plated the second run with a walk.

Senior catcher Maria Schroeder continued the rally with a two-RBI single that pushed the score to 4-0.

The Braves immediately brought across two more runs with a single and passed ball for their fifth and sixth runs.

Sophomore designated player Kealia Wysocki delivered the big blow of the inning with a bases-clearing, three-run triple that pushed the score to 9-0. She went 4-4 with two runs and four RBI on the afternoon.

Another RBI single from Bradley gave the Braves a 10-0 lead after one and knocked Dover out of the game early.

Southern got on the board in the third following a double by sophomore second baseman Maddy Vermejan, who came across to score on a two-run shot by sophomore catcher Katelyn Massa. The homer was Massa’s ninth of the season.

Up 10-2 in their half of the second, the Braves got those two runs back on a two-run homer by Schroeder. She 2-4 with two runs and four RBI.

In jeopardy of falling via the mercy rule, the Salukis rallied for seven runs in the fifth inning.

With two outs and a runner on first, Vermejan got Southern going with an inside the park home run that cut the deficit to 12-4. She finished the game 3-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.

A walk and an error kept the Salukis in business as another run came across on came across on Bradley’s second error of the inning.

An ensuing free pass loaded the bases for Southern, who brought senior third baseman Sydney Jones to the dish.

Jones quickly unloaded the bags with a grand slam that reduced the lead to 12-9, heading to the bottom of the fifth. The homer was her fifth of the year.

The Braves pulled away from the Salukis with a run in the fifth and sixth innings and went on to win the game 14-9.

Dover (4-12) took the loss for the Salukis. She lasted 1.2 innings and surrendered one walk and six runs, one of which was earned.

Junior Megan Mahaffy (7-9) earned the win in relief for Bradley. She tossed four innings and gave up seven runs, two earned, and three walks. Mahaffy also struck out two.

The Salukis (24-20, 7-11 MVC) will return home to face Missouri State for a single game on Monday. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.