Salukis swept by No. 25 Dallas Baptist

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

The third and final game of the weekend series between SIU baseball and No. 25 Dallas Baptist ended with the same result as the previous two.

On Friday and Saturday, DBU turned in late rallies that propelled the Patriots to victories. On Sunday, the Patriots were in the driver’s seat as they never trailed at any point.

Behind a masterful performance by senior pitcher Trevor Conn (4-0), the Patriots swept the series with a 3-1 final.

Conn pitched seven innings and only allowed the Salukis to scrape across one run in the contest. He also only allowed four hits, no walks and struck out 10 batters.

SIU’s sophomore starter Brad Harrison (4-2) dueled with Conn through six innings of work. However, he took the loss on two runs, one walk and two punch outs.

After three scoreless innings, DBU hit the board first in the bottom of the fourth on a solo home run by freshman shortstop Jimmy Glowenke, his fifth of the year and second in the series.

The Patriots manufactured another run in the fifth following a single and stolen base by freshman second baseman Blayne Jones.

Three batters later, junior third baseman Tim Millard singled and drove in Jones for a 2-0 lead.

Southern got a run back in the sixth with a rally that began on a one-out single by junior second baseman Nikola Vasic.

With two outs, senior shortstop Connor Kopach drove in Vasic on a triple down the right-field line for SIU’s first run of the contest.

Up 2-1, the Patriots added an insurance run in the seventh with a solo homer by junior first baseman Kody Funderburk, his second of the series.

After seven superb innings from Conn, DBU called on junior Jordan Martinson. He shut down the Salukis for the next two innings with two strikeouts and only one hit, earning his first save of the season and preserving the 3-1 victory.

SIU (18-17, 4-5 MVC) will return home for a single game against Belmont on April 17. First pitch is slated for 5 p.m.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.