Baseball team races against daylight

By Kayli Plotner

The two teams combined for 16 pitchers and left 29 runners on base Wednesday night.

SIU (13-10) traveled to Murray State University (10-12) for a weeknight matchup. The game was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but weather postponed it to Wednesday.  The Salukis had a two game winning streak but fell with a 7-6 loss to the Racers.

The first inning started when senior shortstop Jake Welch singled and stole second.  Senior designated hitter Cody Daily walked and the two runners were driven in off of a double from senior first baseman Ryan Casillas.

Freshman pitcher Connor McFadden started his sixth game of the season, but didn’t last long. McFadden walked four batters and gave up three runs in two innings but didn’t record an out in the second inning. Coach Ken Henderson brought senior Matt Murphy to relieve McFadden.

The Salukis scored another run in the second inning off of two hits. The Racers answered, and the game was tied 3-3 after two innings.

“We left the bases loaded in three of the first four innings,” Henderson said in a Saluki Athletics press release. “So I’m looking up at the scoreboard thinking the game should be six or seven to zero, and it’s 3-3.”

The game stayed tied until the seventh inning.  SIU scored two runs off one hit and four walks but the Racers responded by scoring one run in the seventh.

Freshman Kyle Pauly gave up two runs; only one of them was earned, in the eighth to give the Racers a 6-5 lead. Senior Donny Duschinsky missed a fly ball that led to the Racers first lead of the game.

The Salukis were able to tie the game in the ninth to send the game into extra innings.

Reagan Field does not have stadium lights, so the game wouldn’t have lasted much longer whether or not either team scored.

The box score says senior Matt Jones was ejected in the top of the tenth, but no reason was given.  Henderson moved freshman Ryan Sabo from third to catcher, which was the first time he played catcher this season.

The Salukis failed to score in the top of the tenth.  Freshman Kyle Pruemer was called on to pitch in the bottom of the frame. He gave up a single and a walk before giving up a bunt base hit to freshman Tyler Lawrence.  The game-winning run scored on a throwing error from Prumer.    

“We gave up free passes, committed errors and didn’t have quality at bats with runners in scoring position,” Henderson said in the press release. “We just had a bad day in all areas. For some reason we didn’t play well, and we weren’t ready to go. Maybe that’s on me.”

Casillas went 2-3 with two RBIs and a walk while Welch went 2-4 with two RBIs and two walks.  Welch has two hits in five consecutive games.

Pruemer took his second loss of the season, but the winning run was unearned.

SIU next plays its first conference three-game series of the season this weekend at Missouri State University.

The probable pitchers are junior Sam Coonrod, senior Todd Eaton and junior Aaron Hauge.

Aaron Graff can be contacted at [email protected], @Aarongraff_DE or 536-3311 ext. 269