Men’s golf places seventh in Arkansas State Intercollegiate

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

Led by another strong performance by junior Peyton Wilhoit, the SIU men’s golf team finished seventh at the Bubba Barnett Intercollegiate on Tuesday.

The two-day tournament hosted by Arkansas State featured 14 teams, including SIU and Missouri State from the Missouri Valley Conference.

Wilhoit — who placed third in the tournament — claimed his seventh straight finish in the top 15 on the individual leaderboard. His 7-under-par 209 score for the tourney earned Wilhoit a spot on the All-Tournament Team.

Only three strokes separated Wilhoit from sophomore Matthew Cole of Arkansas State, the tournament champion. Senior Hunter Richardson of UT-Martin finished one stroke ahead of Wilhoit in second place.

One other Saluki, junior Luke Gannon, finished in the top 30 of the field. Gannon tied for 25th with a three-round score of 221. However, all five Salukis finished in the top 50.

Senior Dirk Kuehler tied for 41st with his score of 10-over-par 226. Sophomore Frankie Thomas tied for 46th and junior Hunter York tied for 49th with total scores of 228 and 229, respectively.

Southern’s team score of 881 placed the Salukis in the middle of the pack, five strokes behind fifth-place Missouri State.

The Salukis will compete in the Purdue Boilermaker Invitational on April 14 and 15, the final tournament before the MVC Championships at the end of the month.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.