Wilhoit, Saluki men win Kingsmill Intercollegiate

By Nathan Dodd, Sports Editor

Led by a comeback victory from junior Peyton Wilhoit, the SIU men’s golf team claimed first place at the William and Mary Kingsmill Intercollegiate on Tuesday.

With a three-round score of 862, 22 strokes over par, the Salukis sealed their second championship of the season. Utah Valley trailed Southern by four strokes for a second-place finish.

The story of the tournament, however, was the performance by Wilhoit.

After the first round, he sat in a tie for 21st at 4-over-par. In the second round, Wilhoit shot a superb 2-under-par and topped that with a 4-under-par 66 in the final round, tying his career-best.

Wilhoit’s rapid climb up the standings gave him a three-stroke advantage ahead of junior Brent Morgan of St. Bonaventure and senior Brendan Peel of Loyola-Maryland.

SIU junior Hunter York finished in a tie for seventh with a 5-over-par 215, his best finish as a Saluki.

Sophomore Frankie Thomas finished in a tie for 19th with a 219, while junior Luke Gannon tied for 30th with a score of 222.

Southern has improved its overall finish in each of its four tournaments of the spring season with standings of 14th, eighth, third and, now, first.

The Salukis will compete in the Arkansas State Red Wolves Intercollegiate in Jonesboro, Arkansas on April 2-3.

Sports editor Nathan Dodd can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @NathanMDodd.

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.