Harrison and Lyon sweep MVC weekly awards

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

Sophomore starting pitcher Brad Harrison and junior left fielder Alex Lyon swept the Missouri Valley Conference weekly awards per an announcement by the league on Monday.

The accomplishment marks the first time since 2005 that the Saluki baseball team swept both awards in a single week.

Harrison was named Pitcher of the Week for the second straight week after he threw eight shutout innings against the SEMO Redhawks.

The young pitcher has thrown a total of 18 straight shutout innings and allowed only seven hits, which tops the MVC. He also currently leads the conference in ERA at 1.23 and opposing batting average at .095.

Lyon received the MVC Player of the Week honors after he hit .625 with a .875 slugging percentage with 10 RBI in Southern’s five-victory week.

The left fielder currently leads the conference in batting average at .446, slugging percentage at .714 and is currently tied with senior first baseman Logan Blackfan with 21 RBI.

The two will be back in action tomorrow against Arkansas State. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter