SIU softball close out USF Under Armour Showcase with dominant win

By Ryan Demer, Sports Reporter

The Saluki softball team closed out play in the USF Under Armour Showcase on Sunday with a dominant victory over the University of Maine (4-11).

Junior Brianna Jones took the mound for Southern and went all seven innings with 10 strikeouts.

Maine got on SIU early with a run on an RBI single in the first inning.

The Salukis answered in the second inning with two runs on a costly error by Maine off a batted ball by senior third baseman Sydney Jones.

Maine responded and tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the second after an RBI single by senior right fielder Erika Leonard.

However, SIU freshman center fielder Jenny Jansen came right back in the third with a solo home run and put the Salukis back up 3-2.

After little offense for the next two innings, junior first baseman Kyleigh Decker cranked a 2-RBI triple in the sixth inning to add onto the Saluki lead. Jones followed with a sacrifice fly that scored Decker and made the score 6-2.

From then on, Jones thwarted any hopes of a Maine comeback en route to her 11th victory this season.

The Salukis (13-9) continue action this Wednesday in Martin, Tennessee in a matchup against the University of Tennessee at Martin. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.

Sports writer Ryan Demer can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @RyanDemer_DE 

To stay up to date with all your SIU sports news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter.