SIU baseball drops second game to Louisiana Monroe

Dylan Nelson

Junior left fielder Alex Lyon dives for the ball Saturday, March 3, 2018, during the Warkhawks 13-7 win against the Salukis at Itchy Jones Stadium. (Dylan Nelson | @Dylan_Nelson99)

By Dillon Gilliland, Sports Reporter

SIU hosted its second game of the season against the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks on Saturday afternoon.

After they dropped the home opener yesterday, the Salukis looked to even the series at one game each.

However, Southern could not overcome a seven-run inning by ULM (8-2) and fell 13-7.

The Salukis once again got off to a hot start in the first with a single by senior shortstop Connor Kopach who advanced to third on a single by junior second baseman Nikola Vasic.

Junior left fielder Alex Lyon batted Kopach in with a sacrifice fly for the game’s first run. Then, senior first baseman Logan Blackfan followed with a single to right, followed by another single from junior right fielder Kenton Crawford that loaded the bases.

Senior designated hitter Hunter Anderson brought in Vasic with a sacrifice fly that gave SIU a 2-0 advantage after one inning.

The Warhawks responded in the second as the first three batters reached on a hit by pitch, a single and a walk.

Then, junior shortstop Joey Jordan earned ULM’s first run of the game when he reached on fielder’s choice that brought one runner across.

Louisiana Monroe followed with another single that tied the game up at two runs each.

The Warhawks took the lead when junior Braedon Barrett reached on a fielder’s choice that brought home two more.

Following a flurry of walks and hit batters that brought another runner across, the Warhawks brought home two more on a single.

“We had a great first inning,” head coach Ken Henderson said. “I just don’t know how we give up a seven spot like that.”

The Salukis attempted to fight back in the third as Vasic singled and proceeded to steal second.

Lyon singled home Vasic and made the score 7-3, however, the left fielder was thrown out trying to reach third base.

ULM continued to show off its bats in the third with a lead-off double and single that increased the lead to 8-3.

Junior first baseman Chad Bell advanced the runner to third on a groundout, followed by a sacrifice fly that brought in another run.

After back-to-back players reached on walks, the Warhawks brought in one last run with a single and headed into the bottom half of the inning at 10-3.

Freshman third baseman Grey Epps got things going again for SIU in the bottom of the third with a single to left.

Sophomore catcher Mitch Fairfield followed with a single that advanced Epps to third. However, Fairfield was thrown out trying to advance to second.

Sophomore center fielder Addison Fugitt then drove home Epps on a sac fly.

Then, senior shortstop Connor Kopach reached on a single and stole second. Vasic repeated with a single of his own that drove in Kopach and made it 10-5.

After five scoreless innings, the Warhawks added three more runs. SIU was only able to rally for two more of its own and the game ended at 13-7.

Senior starter Jamison Steege pitched 3.2 innings and gave up six hits, four walks and struck out four.

“He is an outstanding pitcher,” Henderson said. “He just had a bad outing and that happens.”

Despite the final score, Southern out-hit ULM 18-11.

“It’s not about the hit column,” ULM head coach Michael Federico said. “It’s about who can get the most runs across the plate.”

SIU (3-7) will play the final game of the three-game series tomorrow at 1 p.m.

“I’m proud of our guys,” Federico said. “But I know SIU will come out tomorrow ready to play.”

Sports reporter Dillon Gilliland can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter at @DillonGilliland.

To stay up to date with all your SIU news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter