Can’t miss events in Carbondale this Spring

By Amelia Blakely, Campus Editor

Despite subzero temperatures starting off the new year, Carbondale has a lot to look forward to this spring.

The Women United Network is hosting a southern Illinois march to the polls on Jan. 20 beginning at 11 a.m. This is a reunion to celebrate the first anniversary of the Women’s March.

The march will begin at the Carbondale civic center, with the route still being determined.

Girls Rock Carbondale will host their first CD release party on Jan. 27 at Plaza Records in partnerships with Two Headed Twin Records on 816 East Main St. starting at 7 p.m.

The free party will feature music from 2015, 2016 and 2017 Girls Rock Camp sessions, according to the press release, as well as live acoustic sets from Kendall Bell and Jesa Dior.

Josie Arnett | @JosieArnett

Southern Illinois Local Media Group presents the democratic gubernatorial debate on Jan. 30 in the Student Center auditorium beginning at 6:30 p.m.

The candidates confirmed to attend are Daniel Biss, Bob Daiber, Tio Hardiman, Chris Kennedy, Robert Marshall and J.B. Pritzker.

The forum will focus on the business related issues facing the state and local communities, as well as an opportunity to meet the democratic candidates running in the upcoming democratic primary on March 20.

Admission is $10 and includes refreshments, appetizers, networking, and forum.

The Stage Company will premier a drama play, Agnes of God, on Feb. 9 at the Varsity Center 418 South Illinois Ave. starting at 7:30 p.m.

The plot of the drama explores nature and the depth and meaning of faith while investigating a birth and a death of an infant.

The show will run for two weeks on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. on Sundays, a matinee will take place at 2:00 p.m. The final show will be on Feb. 18th at 2:00 p.m.

Tickets cost $15, and for students they cost $8. On Feb. 15, all tickets will cost $7.

The Death Cafe Carbondale is scheduled to take place in the Backroom of Longbranch at 100 East Jackson St. starting on Feb. 11, and on April 8 from 4 to 6 p.m.

The group led event facilities a place for friendly, open and safe conversations about death led by licensed mortician and green burial advocate, Samuel Perry.

The Wellness and Health Promotion Services of the university will host the Out of Darkness campus walk on April 14 beginning at 4:30 p.m.

The walk raises funds for suicide prevention and awareness. It begins at the Student Center and will lead to the Carbondale civic center, and back to the Student Center.

Campus Editor Amelia Blakely can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @AmeilaBlakely.

To stay up to date with all your southern Illinois news, follow the Daily Egyptian on Facebook and Twitter