Dawgs win one, drop three more

By Aaron Graff, @Aarongraff_DE

SIU baseball picked up its first win of the season, but lost three games with it.

The Salukis (1-6) dropped three of four games this weekend against the Eastern Kentucky Colonels (3-3) in Emerson, Ga. The series moved location because of weather conditions.

“I told people it’s going to take 20 to 25 games,” coach Ken Henderson said. “That doesn’t mean we can’t win. We should have won. We could have very easily won all four games. We didn’t beat ourselves. We just got beat.”

Friday, the Dawgs won their first game of the season 4-1.

Redshirt senior Aaron Hauge made his second start of the season. He allowed 1 earned run in 8 innings pitched on 5 hits, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts.

“Aaron threw extremely well and it was a good win,” Henderson said. 

Junior Colten Selvey recorded his first save of the season.

EKU senior Logan Hershenow suffered the loss, allowing 2 earned runs in 7 innings pitched on 6 hits, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Sophomore infielder Connor Kopach finished 3-for-5 with 1 RBI, 1 run scored and 1 stolen base.

Saturday, the Salukis dropped both games of the doubleheader. They lost the first game 5-4 and the second 4-3.

The Salukis had a 3-2 lead until the eighth inning, when the Colonels scored 3 runs to take the lead, which stuck for the rest of the game.

“That’s the frustrating one of the whole group I think,” Henderson said.

Sophomore Kyle Pruemer made his second start. He allowed 2 earned runs in 6.1 innings pitched on 6 hits and 5 strikeouts. Sophomore Chad Whitmer relieved him and suffered the loss.

EKU senior Cameron Langfels earned the win in relief. He only allowed one base runner in 2 innings pitched.  

Freshman outfielder Braden Mosley recorded 3 RBIs for the team, going 1-for-3.

The Salukis never led game two.

Sophomore Austin McPheron made the start for the Salukis and suffered the loss. He allowed 3 earned runs in 2 innings pitched on 5 hits and 1 walk.

EKU junior Luke McGee earned the win, allowing 2 earned runs in 5.1 innings pitched on 4 hits, 1 walk and 3 strikeouts.

Freshman designated hitter Hunter Anderson went 2-for-4 with 2 RBIs and 1 run scored.

The Salukis lost 5-2 on Sunday.

The game was tied 2-2 until the ninth inning, when EKU sophomore outfielder Shea Sullivan hit a three-run home run off freshman Ryan Netemeyer, who suffered the loss.  

Junior Alex Lesiak made the start and allowed 2 earned runs in 4 innings pitched on 5 hits, 1 walk and 1 strikeout.

Langfels picked up his second win of the series in relief, with a perfect inning.

Freshman infielder Greg Lambert went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.

The Salukis play Murray State at 2 p.m. Wednesday in Murray, Ky.

Aaron Graff can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 256