Four of five Murphysboro regional teams bring winning records

By Thomas Donley, @TdonleyDE

This year’s Illinois High School Association girls basketball Class 3A regional at Murphysboro High School is shaping up to be a classic.

Massac County, Carbondale, Murphysboro, Herrin and Marion high schools will compete this week for a plaque and a spot in the Highland sectional.

When the fourth seed in a five-team regional has a winning record, the competition can be expected to be tight.

Even at 15-11, Herrin could not earn the opening round bye. Herrin will play Marion at 7 p.m. Monday, weather permitting.

The Tigers won the first meeting between the two teams early in the season at the Marion Lady Wildcat Invitational on Nov. 21.

The Lady Wildcats finished the regular season 9-17, but Herrin coach Bill Green said his team cannot rest on its early-season victory.

“As the season goes along, teams improve,” Green said. “We’ve just got to go over there and give it our best night and hope we come out on top.”

The winner of the lone first-round game will play top-seeded Massac County at 6 p.m. Tuesday. The Patriots carry a record of 17-8 into the regional.

Most of the Patriots’ losses this year have come to interstate opponents. They went 4-5 against teams from Tennessee and Kentucky, but 5-1 against teams in the regional.

The Patriots closed out the regular season with a 56-43 win against Murphysboro on Thursday.

Massac County coach Keith Shelton said despite having the top seed, his team could face some problems against virtually any team it might face in the regional.

“Herrin’s so big, and where we lack is size,” Shelton said. “Carbondale is extremely athletic and physical. They’ve got good guard play and kids who can shoot. And then Murphy’s just so quick and they just pressure you so hard.”

Second-seeded Carbondale will play third-seeded Murphysboro on Tuesday night after Massac County plays the winner of the first round game.

The Terriers finished the regular season three games over .500 at 14-11, but won the South Seven Conference title outright with a 9-1 record in conference games. Carbondale will be defending its regional title from last season.

The Red Devils went 25-4, the program’s most wins since 1982-1983 when it won its last regional championship. This is also Murphysboro’s first year at the 3A level after playing in 2A, which is a classification for school’s with smaller populations.

The Red Devils won the only regular-season meeting against the Terriers, a 81-71 game Dec. 18.

Murphysboro coach Jon Marston said rebounding will be essential for his team to beat Carbondale.

“They rebound the heck out of the ball” Marston said. “The key is to keep them off the boards. We did that when we played them over here this year. That was the key to the game.”

Tuesday night’s winners will play at 7 p.m. Thursday in the championship game. The winner will advance to the Highland sectional and play the winner of the Mascoutah regional.

UPDATE: Herrin defeated Marion 49-33 Tuesday night. 

Hannah Groutage led the Tigers with 12 points. Abby Bayer, Marquisha Edwards and Alyson Gwaltney led the Wildcats with six points each.

Top-seeded Massac County defeated Herrin 49-25 in Wednesday’s first quarterfinal.

Jessie Douglas led all scorers with 14 points for the Patriots. Gracyn McBride and Emily Hoard contributed 13 for Massac County.

Third seeded Murphysboro knocked off No. 2 Carbondale 69-60 in the second semifinal.

Johnna Hines scored a game-high 31 points for the Red Devils, while Kandace Jones paced the Terriers with 22.

Murphysboro will take on Massac County on Thursday for the regional championship. The Patriots won the first two matchups between the two teams this season.

Massac County defeated Murphysboro for the third time this season 63-42 Thursday night. The Patriots will take on wither Highland High School or Mascoutah High School in the Highland sectional semifinal at 7:30 Friday.

Thomas Donley can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 269.