SEMO outlasts SIU in 10 innings; 4-3

SEMO outlasts SIU in 10 innings; 4-3

By Brent Meske, @brentmeskeDE

SIU (13-18-1) traveled to Cape Girardeau, Mo., Wednesday night and came back with a 4-3 loss to Southeast Missouri State (10-18) in 10 innings. 

Coach Kerri Blaylock said the Salukis came out flat, but she was happy with the pitching. 

“It started in warmups but I have to give credit to [freshman pitcher Madeline] Krumrey for doing what she did,” she said. “I come to coach every day, they have to come to play every day.”

Krumrey picked up the complete game win for the Redhawks, allowing 8 hits, 9 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 3 runs, 1 of which was earned. 

The Salukis started Shaye Harre in the circle. She left the game after 4 innings with 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks and 1 strikeout. Freshman Savanna Dover entered the game in the fifth inning and finished with 2 hits, 1 earned run, 3 walks and 5 strikeouts in 3 innings pitched. 

Harre held the Redhawks hitless through the first 3 innings, and scoreless until bottom of the fifth. 

Senior second baseman Meaghan Touchette started the fifth inning with a single and scored on a freshman right fielder Shelby Eccles’ RBI triple. Two batters later, freshman shortstop India Davis reached on a fielder’s choice scoring Eccles. 

SIU answered back in the top of the sixth when Harre singled and later scored as senior right fielder Meredith Wilson reached on an error. A stolen base and a passed ball allowed freshman catcher Sydney Jones, who earlier reached on an error, to score from third. 

Scoring stayed stagnant at 2-2 for the next inning and a half and the game went to extra innings. Jones put the Salukis ahead with a one-out home run to left center field in the top of the eighth. 

Senior pitcher Katie Bertelsen went to the circle to close the game but blew the save and eventually suffered the loss. Freshman pinch hitter Riley Hayes doubled to right center field to score freshman left fielder Taylor McDannold.

Bertelsen allowed 1 hit, 1 run, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts in 2 innings pitched.

The Salukis rolled the dice in the top of the 10th inning and came away empty. With one out, Harre fouled out. Senior center fielder Kalyn Harker attempted to tag and score from third, but was thrown out by Davis. 

The Redhawks, by rule, placed a runner at second base and scored her on the first at-bat. McDannold laid down a sacrifice bunt. Senior third baseman Kara Kimball threw to freshman second baseman Savanna Fisher, who was covering first base, but Fisher mishandled the throw and an error allowed the runner to score. 

Junior Kelsey Gonzalez led the team in hitting, going 3-for-4 with a walk. Blaylock said she was happy with her performance.

“She had a great day today,” she said. “We should have been able to score early and it would have been a different ball game.” 

The Salukis host Drake for a three-game weekend series beginning at noon Saturday at Charlotte West Stadium.

Brent Meske can be reached at [email protected] or at 536-3311 ext. 269.