Redbirds run-rule Dawgs before revenge

By Aaron Graff, @Aarongraff_DE

SIU softball was the last undefeated team in Missouri Valley Conference play at 6-0, but has since fallen close to .500.

The Illinois State Redbirds (18-20, 9-3) picked up two wins against the Salukis (13-16-1, 7-5) in a three-game series this weekend.

Friday, ISU defeated SIU 10-2 in five innings.

“They’re a great offensive team,” coach Kerri Blaylock said. “We have to be able to understand that we need to have a baseball type score. We need to be able to play a 9-8, 8-7, 7-6 game and be OK with that.”

Senior Katie Bertelsen surrendered 10 runs, nine of which were earned, in 2.2 innings pitched. She suffered the loss.

Illinois State junior Regan Romshek picked up the win, allowing 2 runs in 5 innings pitched.

Freshman second baseman Savannah Fisher was the only Saluki with 2 hits. She also collected both RBIs.

The Redbirds run-ruled the Salukis again, with an 8-0 win in five innings, on the first game of the doubleheader Saturday.

Sophomore Shaye Harre surrendered 5 earned runs in 1 inning pitched. Freshman reliever Savanna Dover gave up the last 3 runs, and gave up 11 walks in 3.2 innings pitched.

ISU freshman Sarah Finck earned the win. She struck out three and walked three in 5 innings pitched.

SIU salvaged a win in the series in game two Saturday, with the 4-2 victory. The game was tied 2-2 until the final frame, when the Salukis scored the winning runs.

Bertelsen threw a complete game, allowing 2 earned runs on 4 hits, 8 walks and 2 strikeouts.

Romshek suffered the loss, allowing 4 earned runs in 6.2 innings.

Harre led the team in hitting, going 3-for-4 with 2 RBIs.

The Salukis play Saint Louis at 5 p.m. on Monday at Charlotte West Stadium in Carbondale.

Aaron Graff can be reached at [email protected], or at 536-3311 ext. 256.