Daily Egyptian

Jonny Rigby and Michal Kianicka moved to No. 2 on SIU’s all-time doubles win list

By Evan Jones, @EvanJones_DE

SIU men’s tennis opened the season with two doubles champions and all athletes, singles or doubles, finishing with a winning record at the Purdue Invitational. 

Senior Jonny Rigby and junior Michal Kianicka moved to No. 2 on SIU’s all-time doubles win list with 35 wins. The duo won two matches on Friday and Saturday and won their flight.

They need 10 wins to tie the all-time record set by Fabiano Ramos and Mickey Maule in 1989.

The No. 2 team of junior Wilder Pimentel and sophomore Alex Pozo won Flight B and the No. 3 team of sophomores Peter Molloy and Daniel Martinez finished second in flight C. 

Kianicka won the singles Flight A bracket against freshman Jordan Benjamin of Dayton (7-5, 7-6 (2)) — who beat Rigby in the semifinals (6-4, 6-4). 

“I played good tennis the whole tournament and it feels like a big satisfaction,” Kianicka said in an interview with Saluki Athletics. “I felt I was in good shape and was pretty confident going to this tournament. With the amazing support of my teammates it all clicked together.”

Kianicka finished 8-0 in the tournament with singles and doubles matches. 

Pozo qualified for the Flight C finals before losing to freshman Vince Anzalone from Toldeo (0-6, 6-3, 6-4). Pozo finished 3-1 in the tournament. 

Pimentel and freshman Thomas Kyle both made their debuts, both finishing 2-1 in the tournament. Pimentel qualified for the semi-finals in Flight C. 

“This is a great start to the new fall season and we are looking forward to the next tournament,” coach Dann Nelson said in an interview with Saluki Athletics. 

Evan Jones can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @EvanJones_DE.