Inter-Greek Council to get in the holiday spirit this weekend

a href=”https://www.dailyegyptian.com/contactus.html”bDE Staff Reporter/b/abrspan class=”realsmall”bDaily Egyptian/b/span

56th annual Theta Xi variety show to take place this Saturday

Factoid:Tickets are $10 and are available at the ticket office of Shryock Auditorium today, Friday, and directly before the event.

The next major holiday may be more than a month away, but members of the Inter-Greek Council will bring the holiday spirit to SIUC during the 56th Theta Xi Variety Show Saturday.

During the annual event, members of several greek organizations will honor the theme of “Holidays’ through various skits at 3 p.m. in Shryock Auditorium.

The show will feature three large groups and three small groups, one of which is non-greek.

“People really like these types of shows,” said Interfraternity Council President Bradley Portz, a junior in agriculture business economics from Marissa. “It’s a really cool way to see students that have put together their own skits, how much time it takes and how the performances turn out.”

Many campus fraternities and sororities, some working alone, some teaming up with other organizations, have prepared for several months to develop 13-minute skits pertaining to the theme.

Those placing in the competition, however, will not be the only winners during the Theta Xi Variety Show. Several greeks will receive scholarships at the conclusion of the show.

Scholarships awarded will include the Betty Lou Mitchell scholarship, given to an undergraduate student demonstrating academic excellence and leadership skills, and the Leo Kaplen scholarship, provided to a graduating senior in the biological sciences. Both of the awards are named for former greek advisers who were also members of greek organizations.

Although not every organization is participating in the actual show, some greeks have been lending a hand over the past few months to help put it together.

Meredith Hudgens is not performing in an actual skit, but said she is happy with the hard but satisfying work that has come with preparing for the show.

“It’s a lot of fun and a good way for younger and newer greeks to meet and get together,” said Hudgens, a senior in political science from Elgin. “It’s a very friendly competition.”

Jen Berry, who is in charge of special events for the Inter-Greek Council, said the show is not only a good learning experience for greeks, but also a good way for them to show their talents and dedication to the campus and community.

The Theta Xi Variety Show has typically had a good record of attendance in the past, usually selling out prior to the show.

According to Portz, the Inter-Greek Council made the decision to move the event earlier in the day because it conflicted with the much anticipated SIUC basketball game, in hopes of attracting the large audience it did the previous year.

Last year, the event took on the theme, “Bright Lights, Big Cities,” with participants paying tribute to a major city of their choice. The winners of this competition were the members of Sigma Kappa and Sigma Pi who presented a colorful presentation of “New York, New York,” complete with American flags to pay tribute to the city.

This year’s holiday theme, which will showcase various skits such as a 1940s style tribute to Valentine’s Day, promises to be equally interesting for attendants.

“The show is a good way to show everyone that the greek population may be small, but we’re involved,” said Berry, a junior in public relations from Decatur. “And why not come out and see the show before you go to the game. They’re both SIU related.”

Reporter Jessica Yorama can be reached at [email protected]