Riot damage may take weeks to assess, University says

Two SIU students face charges in Jackson County next week

Gus:Two weeks is a long time to access the damage of something categorized by police as a “walk”

An SIUC official said it could take weeks to determine the extent of the damage inflicted on the campus after hundreds rioted across the campus in late October.

Sue Davis, the University’s spokeswoman, said it should be about two more weeks before all reports of the damage are complete as the University reviews what needs replaced.

“Most of the dollars, when they get added up, will be for labor,” Davis said.

Students marched through campus Oct. 26, shortly after the Chicago White Sox captured their first World Series in 88 years. A crowd of about 300 to 400 students started their trail of destruction at Pulliam Hall and headed toward McAndrew Stadium, destroying light poles, smashing a window, knocking over cross walk signs and a soda machine.

The mob also tried to gain access to Charlotte West Stadium, where one person was sprayed with Mace and arrested. Two arrests were reported after the chaos subsided. Earlier, students were also subdued with Mace when some attempted to go inside McAndrew Stadium to tear down the football goal posts.

Howard Swacker, an undecided freshman from Glenwood, was arrested and charged with mob action and criminal trespass to property after he tried to climb the fence at Charlotte West Stadium.

Swacker’s first appearance is scheduled for Nov. 16 at 9 a.m. with Judge Christy Solverson at the Jackson County Courthouse in Murphysboro.

The second person charged, Peter Allen, a freshman from Oak Park studying political science, was arrested at Wright Hall for criminal defacement of property less than $500, criminal damage to government property less than $500 and damage to government property more than $500.

He was transported to Jackson County Jail in Murphysboro where he was later released. Allen’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 14 at 8:30 a.m. with Judge Kimberly Dahlen.

Davis said the student’s cases have been referred to the Judicial Affairs Office, where their academic careers could be in jeopardy. She also said there is no timetable as to when the two student’s cases would be reviewed.

The Judicial Affairs Office enforces the Student Conduct Code and will be conducting the hearing for the two students.

Terry Huffman, coordinator for Judicial Affairs, didn’t return multiple phone calls from the DAILY EGYPTIAN for comment on the students’ status.

Reporter Matthew McConkey can be reached at [email protected]