So be the tax

When an institution moves forward with a project as epic as Saluki Way, there’s nothing students, faculty and community members can do but embrace it and hang on for dear life.

The DAILY EGYPTIAN supports the renovation of this campus – after all, this will soon be an alma mater for many, and we’d like to see the fruits of our investment. Who wants to return to campus in 20 years and see this University’s facilities still crumbling?

And if the city of Carbondale can help revive the University’s facade by imposing a half-percent sales tax increase, then so be it.

Tonight’s meeting could potentially allow the city to give 20 million dollars to the project over the next 20 years.

If the resolution passes, a little more than one fourth of the estimated 80 million dollars needed to complete the first phase of Saluki Way would remain unaccounted for. This may be a number that helps pique the interest of a lackluster donor who hasn’t quite been sold on this dream. After all, fundraising can be a tough business when a price tag is attached to blueprints that have yet to be drawn.

Building a new football stadium and arena is not at the top of the list for everyone. Councilman Joel Fritzler has voiced concerns shared by many that the increase would be unfair to students, and these renovations do not guarantee any yielding results for issues such as increasing enrollment and economic gain.

An increase of 38 million dollars in student fees should be enough from us, some students argue. Has the University found a way to wangle more money out of its customers by subjecting us to a tax we will likely see when going out to dinner, at the gas station or a clothing store?

To put the increase into perspective, where an amount due may have been $100, it will now be $100.50. A little will add up to a lot, and 2.3 million dollars is the estimated revenue the city will generate each year as a result.

The bottom line is that we must start somewhere. Anyone can see McAndrew Stadium is in dire need of an update. It’s falling apart.

Members of this editorial board admit to their high schools having a better stadium than the invective steel structure that greets new and prospective students across from the Student Center.

There is no turning back – curtailing Saluki Way is no longer an option. The request for this tax is tantamount to its demand. We can only hold on and do what we can to help it pay off. Even if it means being taxed twice.