Students shave heads for cancer charity event

Devin Hunter, a senior from St. Louis studying linguistics, gets his head shaved by Ashley Comerford, an employee at the Sport Clips in Marion, on April 18 during a fundraising event for St. Baldricks Foundation in the pavilion behind the Student Services Building. Participants in the fundraiser donated money toward childhood cancer research and then shaved their heads. Comerford said this is the first time she has participated in this event and hopes she can again in the future. The world isnt such a nice place anymore, Comerford said. Its great to see people out here in their free time doing something good for other families. — April 18, 2016, Carbondale, Ill. (Aidan Osborne | Daily Egyptian)

Devin Hunter, a senior from St. Louis studying linguistics, gets his head shaved by Ashley Comerford, an employee at the Sport Clips in Marion, on April 18 during a fundraising event for St. Baldrick’s Foundation in the pavilion behind the Student Services Building. Participants in the fundraiser donated money toward childhood cancer research and then shaved their heads. Comerford said this is the first time she has participated in this event and hopes she can again in the future. “The world isn’t such a nice place anymore,” Comerford said. “It’s great to see people out here in their free time doing something good for other families.” — April 18, 2016, Carbondale, Ill. (Aidan Osborne | Daily Egyptian)

By Diamond Jones, Daily Egyptian

Eleven SIU students shaved their heads Monday evening to help raise more than $2,000 for cancer research during the second annual St. Baldrick’s event on campus.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a charity committed to funding research to find cures for childhood cancers and prolong survivors’ lives, according to its website. Its “Battle of the Bald” campaign encourages college students to sign up for a head-shaving tournament in which all proceeds go to childhood cancer research.

“Our most important aspect of this event is awareness,” said event coordinator Tyler Noragon, a graduate student in higher education from Columbia City, Ind.

The event — sponsored by the Residence Hall Association and Undergraduate Student Government — was held outside Student Health Services and raised $2,344.06 in donations.

Joe Schneiders, who was one of the 11 students, lost his grandfather to skin cancer five years ago and his mother’s friend currently has stage four cancer.

“People should be involved because younger kids should have a fulfilled life just like everyone else and it’s unfortunate that they can’t because of certain health issues,” said Schneiders, a freshman studying sports administration from Chicago, .

Brandon Kyles, a sophomore studying journalism from Country Club Hills, said people must be aware of the ways they we can help this cause. 

“The fact that you can donate a personal part of your body, and who you are, to someone else who will be able to look in the mirror and feel comfortable and happy, makes me happy,” said Kyles, the external affairs committee chair of USG. 

Kyles said one of his instructors from high school was recently re-diagnosed with breast cancer, which took an emotional toll on him.

“I want her to know it’s not over and that this isn’t the end,” he said. “I always tell her we’re not going to cry about it, we’re going to be positive.”

For more information on how to donate to St. Baldrick’s Foundation, contact Noragon by email at [email protected] or visit the foundation’s website here

Diamond Jones can be reached at [email protected] or 618-536-3325.