Shrinking economy might not stop expanding horizons

With an uncertain economy and increasing education costs, travel might not seem like an option for college students.

But Leon Logothetis, star of the television show ‘Amazing Adventures of a Nobody,’ says seeing the world is as possible as it is important.

‘Traveling is, in my opinion, the best form of education,’ he said. ‘What better way to deal with what’s going on in the world than by learning?’

Not only does Logothetis travel the world, he says he does it for 5’pound; a day. He said he had the idea after watching the movie ‘The Motorcycle Diaries,’ where a man must rely on the kindness of strangers to survive as he rides across South America.

‘It inspired me to change the direction of my life,’ he said.

Logothetis said his travels have extended across many countries. The show is in its third season and chronicles his trip from Paris to Moscow in 28 days.

He said the most important part of his experiences is the people he meets along the way.

‘It’s all about meeting and connecting with people,’ he said.

In the show, he is allowed only 5 pounds each day for food, accommodations, and travel, forcing him to count on strangers for help.

Logothetis said he usually hitchhikes to get from place to place. Sometimes, he said, people he meets buy him train tickets.

With the exception of one night spent on a beach in Monte Carlo, he said he has always found somebody willing to help him. It is not always easy, he said, but it is possible.

‘Out of every 10 people, I’d say nine people don’t want to help,’ he said. ‘But you can always find that one person.’

One of the best ways to get in touch with people who can help you, he said, is to use the Internet before you travel.

Web sites such as http://www.couchsurfing.com help travelers find places to stay and people to carpool with, he said.

Anybody willing to put in effort and take a risk can travel without breaking his or her bank, he said.

Whatever the destination, though, Logothetis recommends not leaving home without a few items. Aside from the obvious necessities such as a wallet and cell phone, he said a sense of adventure is imperative.

‘If you can take your sense of adventure with you, you can have a lot of fun,’ he said.

The sense of adventure does not refer only to the places traveled, but the spirit of the traveler, he said.

For students on a budget, he said travel is still entirely possible.

A testament to this, Nathan Kingery, a senior from Ramsey studying music, traveled to Europe with two other students over the summer, spending 10 weeks exploring 17 countries on a budget of $30 a day.

Kingery said after paying for lodging, the amount came to $8 for food and sightseeing.

Despite the difficulties, Kingery said he would take the trip again in a heartbeat.

‘It’s the kind of thing where sure, you’re going to come out of it broke, but the non-monetary benefits are worth it,’ he said.

Jimmy Beers, a senior from Chester studying music, traveled with Kingery.

He said one of the difficulties was getting accustomed to not having the money to eat as frequently or well as he was used to.

‘We had to scrounge a little bit,’ he said.

Beers said research is imperative before going on a lengthy trip. Before going to Europe, the three students spent a year of preparation, seeing how much the trip would cost and finding places to stay.

Kingery said those interested in traveling should never let doubt hold them back. When traveling, he said it is better not to stay at the hotel or only visit major tourist attractions. The local spots are where you meet the most interesting people and have memorable experiences, he said.

‘Go out and travel,’ he said. ‘It will change your perspective on everything.’

‘ ‘ ‘

Genna Ord can be reached at 536-3311 ext. 275 or [email protected]