SIUE professor named Paul Simon Outstanding Scholar

By Scott Wuerz, Belleville News-Democrat

Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville’s Cristina De Meo, a professor in the department of chemistry, was presented the 2016 Paul Simon Outstanding Teacher-Scholar Award at the Paul Simon Luncheon on March 29, during the 20th Annual Graduate School Spring Research Symposium.

The award, named in honor of former U.S. Senator Paul Simon, recognizes significant achievements in research, and the integration of that research into teaching and mentoring.

At the luncheon, De Meo expressed her appreciation for the support of the university and her colleagues and students. She emphasized the importance of expanding students’ horizons.

“An educator is an eye opener, showing students what they can do and who they can become in their learning journey,” De Meo said. “I would lose 99 percent of my students’ attention if I did not integrate the application of what they are learning in organic chemistry and biochemistry, with drug discovery and scientific research, including my own contributions to the field.

“In my hands-on courses, research students can experience real research and apply their theoretical knowledge of organic chemistry to practical science,” De Meo added. “Students not only acquire essential skills in organic synthesis, but also realize that they can make a real contribution in the field. Seeing my students grow as scientists and achieve professional success makes my job truly rewarding.”

The Graduate School Spring Research Symposium also featured a scholarly activity SLAM, at which graduate and professional students offered engaging presentations of their research.

SIU School of Dental Medicine third-year student Spencer Blackham earned first place in the competition, and the people’s choice award for his evaluation of the bio-compatibility of a new dental material using a calvarial defect model.

“An educator is an eye opener, showing students what they can do and who they can become in their learning journey,” De Meo said.

Scott Wuerz: 618-239-2626, @scottwuerzBND

___

(c)2016 the Belleville News-Democrat (Belleville, Ill.)

Visit the Belleville News-Democrat (Belleville, Ill.) at www.bnd.com