Chancellor search committee accepts 25 applications

Twenty-five candidates remain in the search for Chancellor Sam Goldman’s replacement, administrators said Tuesday.

Applications and recommendations for the SIUC chancellor position were due Tuesday, but co-chair of the search committee Thomas Britton said exceptions could be made for a few late arrivals.

Britton said the committee accomplished its goal of maintaining a diverse group of applicants.

‘The candidates that have applied represent a diverse group,’ Britton said. ‘It’s one of the things we pride ourselves in as a university.’

The search committee began advertising the position at the start of the summer semester, and Britton said he hopes to present a list of finalists to SIU President Glenn Poshard by the end of December.

Britton said two sets of interviews will take place with the first set cutting the field to between six and 12 candidates and the second cutting the field to between two and five.

‘The semifinalist interviews away from campus (in St. Louis) we hope to have complete by the end of October,’ Britton said. ‘We hope, and this is a change from our previous position, to have the on-campus interviews done by the end of November.’

The interviews to set the finalist for the position were moved up from January and February.

In an article appearing in the Daily Egyptian July 1, Britton said all candidates are coming from outside SIUC.

The search committee consists of 19 members, co-chaired by Britton and Peggy Stockdale, who said she is excited for the number of high-quality candidates the search committee has located.

‘I’m very much looking forward to interviewing these people both off campus and the ones we bring on campus.’ Stockdale said.

The new chancellor will replace Goldman, who was appointed by Poshard on an interim basis in March 2008 following Poshard’s removal of former Chancellor Fernando Trevi’ntilde;o, citing poor performance.

Priciliano Fabian, the student representative on the search committee, said he wants to find a candidate in the field of 25 that would listen to the collective voice of the students.

‘A lot of them are very well qualified,’ Fabian said. ‘But I’m just making sure that, from a student’s perspective, these people will be able to work with students and not just put them aside.’

Fabian, who is also president of Undergraduate Student Government, said he wants to find a chancellor who will be truthful.

‘I’m just making sure that what they say they are is what they really are,’ Fabian said.

Stile Smith can be reached at 536-3311 ext. 259 or [email protected]