Headliners are no-shows at concert on campus

By Bill Lukitsch and Luke Nozicka, Daily Egyptian

A concert scheduled at Shryock Auditorium ended hours early Friday evening after neither of the headlining artists appeared.

Chicago rappers Lil Bibby and G Herbo were supposed to be the main attraction for the on-campus event, which has been rescheduled for May 6. 

More than 800 people bought tickets for the concert and some of the attendees traveled from as far as St. Louis and Chicago, said Ryan Reed, one of the show’s organizers.

“For the people who came, we just want to show them that we care about them,” Reed said.

Lil Bibby was double booked for a show in Chicago and G Herbo had to postpone because of a family medical emergency, Reed said. Concertgoers were notified of the change in lineup about halfway through the show, he said. 

Reed said there was a “phenomenal” response from the crowd considering the situation and expressed gratefulness that no one reacted violently.

A number of attendees vocalized disappointment while leaving the 1,100-occupancy venue despite reassurance that the tickets would be honored at a future date.

“They gave us our tickets back and it’s rescheduled,” said Jahlil Mullins, a freshman from Chicago studying automotive technology.  “I just feel like we expected more.”

Some also took to social media to voice discontent.

“SIUC bogus as hell neither Bibby or G Herbo show up,” a commenter on Twitter said.  

When asked whether people who cannot attend the later date will be refunded the face value of their tickets, Reed said he is not sure.

“We’re trying to figure that out now,” he said. 

The Daily Egyptian’s campus desk can be reached at 618-536-3325 or [email protected].