Three women’s basketball players request release from scholarships

By Brandon Willingham

Coach Missy Tiber confirmed three SIU women’s basketball players have requested release from the team, while two other players are also rumored to be leaving.

Tiber confirmed sophomore point guard Brooke LeMar, sophomore center CiCi Shannon and sophomore Raquel Miller have requested to leave the team.

In the March 22 email, Tiber chose not to comment on any situation regarding players or the women’s basketball program.

It is rumored sophomore guard Antishia Wright and junior guard Teri Oliver will also not return.

One of the players, who wished to remain anonymous, said the game isn’t fun anymore, because players are working hard, yet failing to see results.

Sources have also confirmed junior guard Teri Oliver will not return either.

Shannon, who ranked second in the Missouri Valley Conference and 13th nationally in most blocked shots, said she received her release from Saluki Athletics Thursday.

Oliver was the second-leading scorer last season, averaging 16 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. She ranked seventh nationally with an average of 3.2 scored 3-pointers per game.

In an email to the Daily Egyptian Thursday, Shannon said she’ll shift her focus onto keeping herself healthy, both mentally and physically.

“I plan on finishing out the semester strong in the classroom,” Shannon said. “I also have been lifting weights, running and going to the recreational center.”

She said she now has the opportunity to see what exactly her future would entail.

“I feel relieved because now I have to opportunity to contact and be contacted by other schools, so I can figure out where my future holds,” Shannon said in the email.

An email sent Tuesday by Bill Ford, media service agent for women’s basketball, said players have also been restricted from comment until they’re released.