The Wham Education Building on SIUs campus.
What's in a name: Wham Education Building
By Thomas Miller, Journalism 201 • July 22, 2024

Connected to the waist of Pulliam Hall is a building that houses a history of education. As with most things rich in history, there is more than...

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

Murray State uses early lead to take down Southern Illinois

Laniah+Randle+%284%29+looks+to+shoot+the+ball+Oct.+2023+at+Banterra+Center+in+Carbondale%2C+Illinois.+
Dominic Hoscher
Laniah Randle (4) looks to shoot the ball Oct. 2023 at Banterra Center in Carbondale, Illinois.

The Dawgs were off to a slow start in Banterra this evening when the Racers took a 14-0 lead in the beginning of the first quarter. 

Freshman Maddy Saracco put the Dawgs on the board with 5:28 left in the quarter with a second-chance jumper. The first quarter ended 22-7 Racers on top. 

Southern Illinois came out of the break looking to get back into the game. After a foul by the Racers on an offensive rebound, Jaidynn Mason scored the first point of the quarter for the Dawgs with a made free throw. 

The Salukis outscored the Racers 19-13 in the second quarter, but that wasn’t enough to knock them off their lead. The first half ended with the Dawgs trailing behind by 9 with a score of 35-26.

Coming out of the half, Southern was looking to close the gap but fell short again ending the quarter 54-47.

The Dawgs were on a run in the final quarter of the matchup, closing in on Murray State with 1:45 left in the quarter making the score 75-70 with a three point jumper by Quierra Love. Even with shots made by Laniah Randle and Love in the last minute of the game, the Dawgs fell short to the Racers. 

Murray State tallied 17 offensive rebounds and 31 defensive rebounds that contributed to their 81-74 win over the Salukis. 

Randle led the Salukis once again with 20 points, Love followed with 17 and Seairra Hughes tallied 16 points. 

“I’m impressed with our culture but I want it for our kids so bad, they’re so close, they’re battle tested,” Head Coach Kelly Bond-White said in her post game conference. 

The Dawgs will be back in action Feb. 11 in the Banterra Center to take on the Belmont Bruins  at 1 p.m.

News Editor Joei Younker can be reached at [email protected].