African Week celebrates unity and tradition on campus
By Annalise Schmidt, News Reporter • February 21, 2024

This week unfolds as a testament to diversity within the African continent and a call to recognize its contributions to the global community,...

WPOW! Women photojournalists featured in Sharp Museum 
By Annalise SchmidtFebruary 21, 2024

The Women Photojournalists of Washington (WPOW) marks its 16th Annual Photography and Multimedia Exhibition this year, shining a spotlight on...

A building in the middle of construction within the Arbor District that is on West Cherry Street in Carbondale, IL. The building has caution tape surrounding the front of it. February 17th, 2024
@SimShardPhotography
Arbor District residents take a stand against slumlords at city council meeting
By Jamilah Lewis, Sports Editor • February 21, 2024

Social media in the Carbondale area is often flooded with complaints about landlords and housing units with mold, falling fixtures and even,...

Saluki AdLab president receives national diversity honor

Nationally recognized Southern Illinois University student, Monserrat Munzo, may be on her way back from the Big Apple soon, but you might catch a glimpse of her if you’re in Time Square. 

A senior majoring in journalism with a specialization in advertising and a minor in Spanish, Munzo was recently recognized by American Advertising Federation as one of the organization’s 50 Most Promising Multicultural Students for 2024. Not only is she the president and creative director of Saluki AdLab, she is also the first SIU student to be inducted into this group. 

Munzo is spending this week back in New York City mapping out the trajectory of the advertising industry by participating in professional development and personal branding workshops while gaining the opportunity to connect with advertising, media, communications and tech companies. 

Saluki AdLab faculty advisor, Bridget Lescelius, said she could not think of a more deserving student to be inducted into this group of students.