Jarrett Hensley (32) claps in celebration as the clock runs out to give SIU the win over Murray State Feb. 21, 2024 at Banterra Center in Carbondale, Illinois.
Horsin' Around: Salukis beat the Racers in a photo finish
By Jamilah Lewis, Sports Editor • February 21, 2024

Jarrett Hensley and Kennard Davis Jr. played heroes on Wednesday night, as both had key blocks in the final minute of a 72-68 victory for Southern...

African Week celebrates unity and tradition on campus
By Annalise Schmidt, News Reporter • February 21, 2024

This week unfolds as a testament to diversity within the African continent and a call to recognize its contributions to the global community,...

WPOW! Women photojournalists featured in Sharp Museum 
By Annalise SchmidtFebruary 21, 2024

The Women Photojournalists of Washington (WPOW) marks its 16th Annual Photography and Multimedia Exhibition this year, shining a spotlight on...

SIU Chancellor considered one of the five finalists for New Mexico State president position

SIUs+newly+appointed+chancellor%2C+Austin+Lane%2C+sits+for+a+portrait+on+Monday%2C+Aug.+17%2C+2020+in+Anthony+Hall+at+SIU.+
Jared Treece | @bisalo
SIU’s newly appointed chancellor, Austin Lane, sits for a portrait on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.

New Mexico State University announced a list of five candidates on Friday, February 2, who have the potential to be the university’s next president. Among those named was Southern Illinois University’s Chancellor, Austin Lane. 

“Me and my team are laser focused on supporting students, faculty and staff. We have been making tremendous progress on our top five priorities in the Imagine 2030 strategic plan and will continue to do so,” Lane said. “While I’m flattered that NMSU has recognized me as a finalist, it’s important to note that there are four others going through this process. Until then, I remained focused on our goals we set for this year.”

The others featured on the list include: Michael Galyean (Texas Tech), Wayne E. Jones Jr. (University of New Hampshire), John Volin (UMaine) and Richard B. Williams (Utah Tech). 

Lane was appointed as Chancellor on July 1, 2020. As the face of the Salukis, his programs helped increase enrollment for the first time since 2014 this past fall, which continued into the Spring 2024 semester. 

Lane’s main strategic plan at SIU, Imagine 2030, is a major factor in his consideration for the NMSU position, per the announcement from New Mexico State. 

The university also stated that each of the five candidates are expected to visit the NMSU campus and get a feel for the community before being selected. These visits start in mid-late February. 

There is no date listed for when the decision is to be made. 

Updated Feb. 6, 2024. For more updates, follow the Daily Egyptian for continued coverage.