The Wham Education Building on SIUs campus.
What's in a name: Wham Education Building
By Thomas Miller, Journalism 201 • July 22, 2024

Connected to the waist of Pulliam Hall is a building that houses a history of education. As with most things rich in history, there is more than...

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will become commander and a professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at 10 a.m. Friday, June 28, at Saluki Alumni Plaza, located between Woody and Pulliam halls on the SIU campus.
Murphysboro native named commander of SIU Air Force ROTC 
By Carly Gist, News Editor • July 15, 2024

Lt. Col. Chay M. Derbigny will soon take over as commander and professor of aerospace studies for Air Force ROTC Detachment 205 at Southern Illinois...

Marcus Domask (left) and Lance Jones (right) during a Purdue-Illinois game Jan. 5, 2024 at
Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana. Photo credit to Illinois Athletics.
Three Former Salukis set to play in NBA Summer League 
By Ryan Grieser, Sports Reporter • July 13, 2024

As the NBA 2K25 Summer League kicked off on July 12, three former Salukis began their professional basketball careers.  Though none of them...

SIU Chancellor considered one of the five finalists for New Mexico State president position

SIUs+newly+appointed+chancellor%2C+Austin+Lane%2C+sits+for+a+portrait+on+Monday%2C+Aug.+17%2C+2020+in+Anthony+Hall+at+SIU.+
Jared Treece | @bisalo
SIU’s newly appointed chancellor, Austin Lane, sits for a portrait on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020 in Anthony Hall at SIU.

New Mexico State University announced a list of five candidates on Friday, February 2, who have the potential to be the university’s next president. Among those named was Southern Illinois University’s Chancellor, Austin Lane. 

“Me and my team are laser focused on supporting students, faculty and staff. We have been making tremendous progress on our top five priorities in the Imagine 2030 strategic plan and will continue to do so,” Lane said. “While I’m flattered that NMSU has recognized me as a finalist, it’s important to note that there are four others going through this process. Until then, I remained focused on our goals we set for this year.”

The others featured on the list include: Michael Galyean (Texas Tech), Wayne E. Jones Jr. (University of New Hampshire), John Volin (UMaine) and Richard B. Williams (Utah Tech). 

Lane was appointed as Chancellor on July 1, 2020. As the face of the Salukis, his programs helped increase enrollment for the first time since 2014 this past fall, which continued into the Spring 2024 semester. 

Lane’s main strategic plan at SIU, Imagine 2030, is a major factor in his consideration for the NMSU position, per the announcement from New Mexico State. 

The university also stated that each of the five candidates are expected to visit the NMSU campus and get a feel for the community before being selected. These visits start in mid-late February. 

There is no date listed for when the decision is to be made. 

Updated Feb. 6, 2024. For more updates, follow the Daily Egyptian for continued coverage.